Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Fall Begins

My calendar said yesterday, "Fall begins."  In one way, it makes me glad and in another way I'm kinda sad.  Sad to leave the summer days of swimming and sunning and warmness behind for yet another year.  But glad to smell, taste and feel the things that only Fall brings.  Warm drinks, cozy sweaters, brisk air!!!  Stepping out the door to see the kids off to school and feeling the cool air is a reminder that fall is here!  The air is chilly yet fresh. 

Now that it is officially Fall, my mind does a loop and thinks about the upcoming holidays.  It won't seem long before we start making preparations for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Doing some fun fall events with the kids would be fun.  No promises but fall spells hay rides, pumpkin patches and hot cider.  Maybe we can do one of these this weekend?

The leaves did not change their color yet here at our home but the flowers are showing the change of season.  The yellows and orange colors just seem to pop out now instead of the pinks and purples.  My porches did get some mums and pumpkins on them.  I love the fall colors just as much as I do the summer colors!  Each bring their own seasony feeling.  (My spell check is not recognizing the word seasony.  :)  )


I have been burning my "hot cider" candle a lot!  I love that smell!  I've been flipping through my cookbooks looking for recipes with pumpkin, ginger and cinnamon ingredients!  I made a batch of squash soup for supper last night.  The soup turned out good but I made a mistake the minute I set it on the table.  I should not have announced that's it's squash but I should have left hubby try it first and then tell him what it was.  Squash is not something Mike likes but he did like and eat most of his soup!  :)  The soup was the perfect combination with our families favorite baked sausage.  (We are hoping Mike shots another deer this fall to replenish the sausage supply for the freezer.  I'm not a huge deer meat fan but this sausage is so good!  If you are into trying some squash soup here's the recipe I used.  It was another online search party till I found one I tried.  :)
 
 (Really pictures sell food and this is not the greatest picture ever taken of squash soup.  :/  My camera is getting a cleaning so the phone had to do.)

Butternut Squash Soup:
1 Butternut Squash (peeled & chopped)
* Toss the squash with 1 Tb. olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.
* Blend roasted squash, 2 Tb. pumpkin (from the can), 1 cooked carrot in a blender.
* Add 1 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup apple cider & 1 cup half n half.
* Pour into a sauce pan and heat adding 1 1/2 Tb. honey, 1/4 tsp. curry, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon & a pinch of sugar.
* Heat till warm and serve!  Yield: 6 servings   (This recipe came from HomemadeCravings.com but I changed a few things.  I added only a little pumpkin and used chicken broth instead of veggie broth.  Just because I didn't have veggie broth on hand.)

Hadassah had her second volleyball game yesterday and they again won one, lost two.  They played well and Hadassah's serves were great!  Over and hard!  She's working it!!!  :)

The end of the week weather looks lovely!  Enjoy the fall times!  I'm off to mix up a batch of pumpkin cookies!!!  :)