Wednesday, October 1, 2014

It's October.

I flipped the calendar page over again.  It is now reading October!  Another month of Autumn!  A month of football and volleyball games and leaves and chill.  A month closer to the holidays!  Yikes!

Saying goodbye to my favorite September weather and days is no fun but we are slowly getting out the jackets and boots and dress in layers.  I am OK with that too.  I like layers and so when the chilly tempts come this weekend, we will try to not frown.  Seeing the chimneys start to puff out smoke will be another sign of colder weather.  The cooler weather is getting me into my sneakers more too.  Hadassah is coming home from school and saying, "We ran the mile again."  She's a good runner but does not nearly like or feel like doing it each time!  Kinda like her mom!  :)  She said her time yesterday and I set out running timing my mile!  I really am trying to be more faithful at running or walking but I find myself too many times dreading it too.  I have decided to not go as far but give more energy to what I do run.  It's such a mind thing for me.  I came back puffing and huffing and sweating and proud of my time!  It's not an athlete's record breaker for sure but it had my blood pumping!  I got to the driveway and gave out a yell.  Hadassah was faithfully bouncing her ball on the front walks (like she does every single day.  Love it!).  She was impressed but I didn't beat her time!  Now, mind you, I am like twenty years older than her.  I had three children.  I gave it my all!  I'm going to keep trying!  She runs the mile tomorrow again at school and I can't wait to hear her time!  She's better and that's completely fine with me!  I'm proud of her and her athletic skills.  She is a good runner, a great jumper and even better volleyball player!!!  It's giving me motivation!  We both do love the way we feel after a run.  Even if it's only one mile at a time!  I'm going to keep running that mile with working on my time!  Maybe then, I'll be brave and up the distance!  :)  I think it would be fun to run together with Hadassah.  I might have to convince her on her "no running days at school".  Wish me some force, strength, might & energy!!!

We had a sisters day yesterday and went to Roots market.  It was mom's idea and it was fun.  I couldn't believe how many people were out and selling!  Lot's of produce stands.  Many local grown foods!  Some crafts.  Some animals.  Lot's of pastry's and small bakery venders.  I just didn't picture a thriving market like this so close to home.  The day with mom, Jody & Fannie Lynn & our girls was fun!  (We missed you Mindy and Mim!)  We keep saying how we should get together more often.  We planned a day to go to Ikea next and I'm excited!  I love days out with sisters!!!  Thanks gals for the fun day!

(I totally despise my camera on my phone but it's better than nothing!)




My outside work is slowing down.  I pulled out some flowers, the tomato and pepper plants are going to be ripped out today yet, and no more string beans.  I did have some tomatoes in the freezer yet that needed to be made into something???  (Did you know that if you plant tomatoes and if you're like me, I don't like a tomato here or there every other day, you can freeze them.  Wash and cut off the top and put in a container for the freezer.  Then when you have plenty to juice, go for it!)  I had five containers in my freezer that I took out this morning.  I cooked them with some onions and peppers.  Then juiced everything after it was soft.  Then I made homemade ketchup!  It turned out great and I can't wait to use some on some fresh French fries or it's the best with fried zucchini slices.  I worked and cooked in the garage but wishing the smell of the cinnamon oil was in my house!  I love that smell!  I made a double batch with the recipe I got from Mike's mom.  It gave me 22 bottles!  I also canned 4 more quarts of just juice for delicious tomato soup when the slow blows!



 

 I cooked all the ingredients together.  I added 2 Tb. of horseradish to the mixture as it cooked.  You can leave this out if you want.  But it adds a nice touch of yumminess!  I thickened it with thermo flo.  Almost two cups mixed with some water.  Stir and then slowly add to the hot ketchup till you have it thickened.  Keep cooking and stirring.  Not too thick though or it won't pour out of your jars very nice.  You may not use all the thermo flo or you may even need a bit more.  You decide.  I canned the jars for five minutes.  I doubled the recipe and it gave me what you see above!  Even though this is the first time making this all by myself, its not hard.  I love the recipe and I'm grateful that my mother in law shares her recipes because I think her ketchup is the best!!!  :)
 
I also made some pumpkin pies the other day.  I picked a recipe I used before but cut it in half.  Who needs four pies for a family of five???!!!  I made my two pie crusts and they looked great!  Then I mixed my pie ingredients and when I started pouring it into my crusts, I gasped.  I knew that my mixture was not going to be enough for both pie crusts.  I should've have stopped right there and poured them into one.  I didn't.  I wish I would have!!!  My 9" pie plates made my pies not full to the rim like they need to be but I baked them anyway.  I knew better!!!  They flopped.  They are dry and don't have near enough of goo or pie or ????  Hadassah was nice, took a piece, and said they taste good.  Mike took a piece and said they were OK because he was also being nice.  They do taste alright but I don't think they are worth the calories because I've had much, much better pumpkin pies before!  I'm not giving up though.  I've made pumpkin pies lots of times before and I guess the next time, I'll give the extra's away!!!  :)  The pumpkin cookies were much more of a hit around this house last week.  Matthew had way too many and loves them!!!  The warm pears that I baked last night were just as tasty!  I love all the seasonal foods that come with fall!!!
 
 

I must now go pull out them tomato plants and get rid of them pepper stalks.  The garden will then be empty of foods for this year.  (Actually, I think I'll let the herbs go till they freeze out.)  God blessed our little garden again this summer and we are extremely blessed with good homegrown foods!  Thank you, Lord!!!