Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Strawberry season!



It's June and that means strawberry season!!!!  We love homegrown strawberries and Fanny Lynn told  us that we could come pick from her wonderful patch!!!!  The kids were so happy to take home these juicy berries!!!!!






Sidewalk chalk .... here's an easy art for the kids to do on these hot summer days!  Grab some wide tape and make designs with it on the black top.  Then color in the areas with chalk.  Peel the tape off and see your art!




And this is me.  Soaking up the sun!!!!



These warm summer days that have the bluest of blue skies and thick fluffy clouds has us spending most of our hours outside.

We are still in the yellow phase with this COVID 19.  We have not known anyone with the virus for a long but it has now come to our home town and some people have not been feeling well.  I am so ready to have this virus over and out of any phase and move on like normal life.  I'm beginning to wonder if life will ever be the same again.  Many people have died.  Many have lost their jobs.  Thankfully, we have not experienced any of these hardships!!!!  Mike is busy at work!  Hadassah is busy cleaning.  Matthew works at the shop too.  The kids and I are home bodies and enjoying the lazy, sleep in mornings.

The yellow phase has us not at the club pool yet.  They are only taking first come first serve reservations.  It's not the style that goes well with my personality.  I'm the kind that doesn't plan ahead too much and I wait to see if it's going to a sunny day .... then decide if I go to the pool.  Everything has been filled up and so we just wait.  Hopefully, on Friday, we will move into green phase!!!!!

Even though we've not been at the local club pool yet, we are busy around home.  The garden is looking great!  We just picked our first zucchini!!!!

The pickle patch is green and lush!  We have hopes to pick big long cucumbers off of these plants soon!

The strawberry plants didn't do that well. I planted new plants and keep wishing for those big berries to grow in my garden!  Maybe next year will be better?

The onions are turning into white bulbs.

Red beets are popping through the ground and I pulled out some yesterday and want to roast them for dinner!

The lettuce is finished but we still have some spinach and kale to snip.

Fennel ... help me out!!!!  This is the first time we planted fennel and we love this vegetable!!!  The plants are looking great but I don't know when to harvest it?  We did pull one stalk out last week but the fennel bulb was still really tiny even though the green stalk was as tall as Austin!!!!  What are we don't wrong?  We love the fennel bulbs to eat!  We said at July 4th we are going to pull another stalk and try that one!

Our watermelon plant is still small but slowly growing.

I planted some pumpkin seeds in our small bed and it too is growing in leaps and bounds!

Carrots, peppers and tomatoes are all growing beside each other in one bed.  I thought two of my tomato plants got caught by frost back in May and planted two new plants right beside the other ones and now they all survived.  I'm hoping to have lots of tomatoes for juice, salsa and pizza sauce!

The herb box is thriving!

I love to garden and watch these plants grow!!!!!  I'm hoping this will be the best summer of gardening yet!