Wednesday, September 1, 2021

September 1, 2021

 I love September!  It's one of my favorite months!  It's when the hot days of summer are over yet it's still warm in the afternoon and cooler in the evenings.  It's the month where the grass is so green, the skies are so blue and the garden thrives!  School is under way and we are back to the school schedule routines.  With the exception that Austin is still having morning tears about school but he's trying to be brave and is getting used to every day in school.  Matthew is the new bus driver for our clan!  He drives us to school each morning.  September is also the month where we are introduced to autumn!  The smells of pumpkin, warm apples and cinnamon are just wonderful!  The tastes of hot cider and pumpkin lattes are also just wonderful!  I love that we can wear summer clothes during the day and then layers at evening events!  Football begins!  Golf happens.  I really love this month!!!!!





The first day of September was doing school at home.  Hurricane Ida is roaring and bringing us flooding rains and tornado warnings.  School got canceled and we are doing it virtual today.



It went well!  I'm reminded again how much I appreciate our teacher and the way they teach is still best!  While the kids worked on school, I baked my first loaves of "Country Sourdough".


I printed out my September Bible Reading plan and I love this "read through the Bible in a year" plan!



I made a greenhouse stop yesterday before these rain come and planted some fall foods!  For the first time, I planted celery!


And the zinnias are so pretty right now!

The cosmos are taller than me!  They have yet to bloom!


These "pea size" tomatoes are loaded!

I planted some kale and spinach.





I wanted to buy some ornamental peppers but just not quite ready for that kind of fall decor!



The fennel is growing like crazy!  Still not sure why it grows so tall and pretty without a nice big bulb because it's the bulb that really tasty!  Ashlyn and I love to eat the greens to though!  So good for your gut!


The cosmos are taller than me!



Buttercrunch, Ruby and a red leaf lettuce!  


Still picking tomatoes from the garden.



We are still picking green beans, peppers and cucumbers but the garden is slowing down.  It's been a good year so far!



Austin is struggling school mornings.  He wakes up crying but most days he was over it and on his merry way when we got to school.  He was like this last year too but now it's school every day.  Sometimes changes and adjustments take time.  When I went to PTF the other night, this was cute to read in his journal.  So far the word MOM is in every page.  I think he may miss me a bit!  He's so cute!






-----------------------------------------------------------

We didn't get to the ocean this summer, yet.  Maybe September will be nice enough to go but we did take a Sunday afternoon drive down to Northeast Maryland after Lena invited us to meet down there!  The kids played at a park and then swam by the bay!  It was relaxing and the seafood soup afterwards was delicious!!!!!  

Love these kids with all my heart!



And these two girls are so sweet!








Layered soup ~ tomato bisque and then topped with crab soup!  So good!

And of the course the man of my dreams!!!!





Summer is coming to a close and I'm ready for fall!  

We have a long weekend ahead of us and I love, love that we can be lazy and hang out with family!!!!

Stay safe!  Stay dry!  It's really putting it down outside right now with Hurricane Ida bringing us inches of rain!

PS. We started a family night!  Wednesday nights I make dinner for everyone, including Hadassah and Jeremiah!  Ritchie and Liz are invited to join when they want to!  We look forward to this every week and tonight we are going to feast on roast, potatoes and carrots with warm apple crisp for dessert!