Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Sourdough.

 I have wanted to learn more about sourdough but ever since I was given my first starter, I have been baking with it and using it but not really trying new recipes.  This winter, I would like to keep working on this art of sourdough, so here goes!  

The one thing that I had to get in my head was, I have to plan ahead!  I don't really like this part of sourdough because I'm way to much the type to be "Oh, homemade bread would be great with our meal tonight!  Let's make some!"  That's not the way it is with real sourdough.  I did get a four hour sourdough bread recipe from my cousin but it's not fermented like real sourdough normally is, it just uses starter in the recipe.  

The past few weeks, there have been some fun sourdough recipes posted on Instragram and from ladies I know personally!  That always makes me believe that I can make it too!  😃

Roseanna Witmer, friend from church, shared her sourdough English muffin recipe and I was saving all her photos and tips!  She's the one that gave me a starter from our sourdough and it's because of her that I know anything about this kind of baking.  She inspired me to try it!  And I've made numerous round breads from her starter already!  I do have to admit that I took what she gave me and just did it.  No extra Youtube watches, etc.  Oh yeah, I did purchase a beginners book on sourdough that I do really like and have referred to that a lot!  

I mixed my first sourdough English muffin recipe last week and here's how they turned out!  The dough was a bit sticky but the taste was delicious!





Another church friend, Clarita Yoder, shared a recipe that looked amazing and because she had it step by step, I tried that too.  However, my dough didn't rise a bit.  Nothing!  I mixed the dough, left it set overnight and according to her photo's there should have been a nice risen dough!  So, I asked her for some new starter and tried again!  I think maybe my other starter was not being fed correctly.  I still have it and hope to bring it back to full potential!

Sure doesn't look like a nice rise to me!!!!  🤨



So I try again.

This looks better!  This is a sourdough chocolate twist.  Again, I did it step by step and it turned out pretty!


I made another batch of English muffins!  These turned out better than my first and had a much better rise!




These really are easy to make!  Step by step and taste great!


There's much to learn about sourdough and I'm by far not the expert but I'm working at it!!!  

Winter time is a fun time to learn things like this!  What will be my next recipe I will try?