Saturday, July 8, 2023

Harvesting the garden in June.

 June has given us odd weather.  We had days of hazy skies because of the hundreds of wild forest fires going on in Canada.  One day we could even smell the smoke in the air.  The weather was so dry the whole month of May and we really need the rains and now June is giving us thunderstorms.  The sunny, summer weather has yet to arrive.  

But, the garden is thriving!  I've been watering the garden faithfully but the minute it drank up the rain water, everything popped!!!!  Amazing how things took off!  The lettuce is now all pulled, washed and eaten.  I hope to plant more in the fall.  The red beats are large and delicious!  All four heads of cabbage is ready at once.  It's the best and we grew a head that weighed 8 pounds!





Zucchini is ready too, so I made some zucchini bread!  We love this around here!



And with all the foods growing in the garden, the bees have arrived too!  There are SO MANY bees buzzing around the lavender plants and blooms on garden vegetables.  Almost too many.  I'm afraid someone is gonna get stung.  There are lots around the cucumber plants too!!!!





And another favorite flower that grows here on our property are these Anabell hydrangeas!  They get large white flowering heads.  This year I learned that is you put them in hot tap in a vase, they stay nice for a few days.  If you use cold water, they are dropping in an hour.  I love them on the kitchen counter!



And we picked the first of many cucumbers, more zucchini and raspberries are on the bushes!  Aeri loves the berries and eats the ones that fall on the ground.  Too cute!



I planted celery in the spring and really don't know what I'm doing with this vegetable yet.  I love celery to eat and decided to try again to grow it.  Before, it got too tough and wasn't that great to eat.  This time, I tied it up when it looked like it needed it.  Some say to wrap it and dig a trench around the plants to tenderize it, but it didn't.  I cut the plants when it looked ready to eat and out of all the stalks, we ended with a bag of yummy celery.  I'll try it again for this fall!



And kale ... got lots of it!




Gardening is my hobby!  I love it!  Thank you Jesus for making my vegetables grow!!!!