Monday, July 14, 2014

Beat the heat!!!

The way we can beat the heat outside around our house is to spend time in the water!!!  We've been at the pool's three times last week.  I think that's our recording breaker for this summer so far!  The first day at the pool was with sister Jody and her children.  The cousins ALWAYS have a blast and swimming together is not something that do a whole lot together ... so this was an extra nice treat for them!  Thanks guys for meeting us at the pool!

The next pool day was with two great friends!  Martha Rose texted me and said she is going to the pool and that we should meet her there!  We've been saying for a few weeks that we should met up at the pool, so here was our chance!  I needed to get the house cleaned first, the bed sheets washed, dried and beds remade, the cooler packed, etc.. before heading out the door.  The children helped me and we were splashing in the cool water right after noon!  Meanwhile, I said something to Suz about meeting us there too because Dave & Mike were both out of town.  (Together they went to tour a lumber mill in Minnisota.)  When she showed up, it was a surprise to Marts boys!  The older kids threw balls in the pool all afternoon while the younger kids played in the kiddie.  We all got another heavy dose of sunshine.  Sunscreen is a must on these warm/hot days!

 

We spent the evening here at home.  We missed Mike not being home with us but we did get to talk to him on the phone and they had a fun afternoon on four wheelers sight seeing.  We had another thunder storm go through after dark giving us a needed rain shower for the sunbeaten grass!

Friday was my mom and brother LaVern's birthday.  We had planned to take a picnic lunch to a nearby park and then go to a pond to swim.  We invited the sisters to all go along but it only suited Jody and I (and Mom!!!).  That morning we found that the pond was drained for a cleaning and so after our lunch at the park, we went to Aunt Ruth's pool.  It was hot!  It felt good!  It was loud with all the happy children splashing in the pool.  More sunshine.  More wrinkled up fingers and toes from soaking in the water.  More tan colored cheeks and sunkissed hair!  Isn't summer so fun???



Marilyn and I met at Dave & Suz on Friday night for pizza and campfire while we waited for the men to return home!  The kids once again got into their swimmies and took a few more plunges in the Zook's pool.  I took along a big tray of fresh zucchini and squash.  I cut them into pieces and then sprinkled on some olive oil.  Then I cut up some fresh herbs from the garden and tossed them on top.  I roasted them at 400 for 30 minutes and then topped them with fresh grated sharp cheese.  They tasted great!  The guys arrived safe and sound around 9:15 and joined us at the campfire.  They had a great time touring the lumber yard and the state of Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Here's the dish of veggies I mixed up.  I never plant zucchini or squash because other's around me always have way more than they need!!!  I got these from sister Jody.  She walked in the other day with a bag full of squash and she said, "And how many did you say you need?"  I hadn't even said anything about delicious veggies but I was into having some to eat!  I wish my family would like them like I do.!.  Here I cut them in chunks, poured olive oil over them and tossed.  I went to the garden and cut some herbs (Thyme, Basil & Oregano) and sprinkled them all over the top.  Salt and pepper.  I roasted them at 400 degrees for 25 minutes and then topped them with some fresh grated sharp cheese.  They tasted great!!!


Saturday was another day at home doing my outside work.  The lawn got mowed, the weeds pulled, trimmed and blew.  It's still warm outside but a good breeze was in the air!  It was great having Mike home again after his short get away!  The kids love to swing with him in the new hammock!  We cooked corn on the cob and roasted marshmellows around the campfire after Mike went for a bike ride.  Matt's joined us and the night was lovely around the campfire!  Summer nights at home outside are great especially with Ashlyn chasing after lightning bugs!  She loves to do this!  We love summer! 

Enjoy summer!!!