Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Canning season has begun!!!

The gardens are thriving with our picture perfect weather this past week!  The air is crisp in the mornings making it wonderful to go out and exercise!!!  The afternoons are not humid right now and the skies are filled with big puffy white clouds!  But not too many clouds!  The sun still shines bright and it feels so good being outside!  Its the kind of weather that else makes you want to work, organize, and get the canning jars out and filled! 

It's also the time of year when sweet corn is being harvested!  We love corn on the cob for supper!  We also love corn all year long and so we do tons and tons and it's a great feeling knowing that the freezer now has many bags of fresh yellow corn in it!!!  Monday, we decided to have "corn day"!  I got Mike's truck and picked up 1,200 ears of corn!  I took it down to moms and everyone met there to help!  All this corn got divided out to five families but it's work and a major job!  However, we do have our annual system and the corn day went well!

The weather was great to do this outside job!!!

Mom's has this outside cooker and we put the whole corn right into the boiling water. 

Then we carefully put the hot cooked corn into a barrel of ice water! 

Then husk it and clean it!

All the girls did great playing all day long!  Ashlyn and Kia kept coming and getting their fingers in the work too!

After it's cleaned we put it in cold water again till we cut it off or cream it.

So good!!!

Then it all goes in bags and then off to the freezers!

Now today, mom came to my house and we canned Banana Pickles!  We have lots of fresh, yummy pickles for the canning shelves now! 

Ashlyn and mom are cleaning cucumbers.

This all goes to our shelves!

I also cooked and juiced tomatoes.  This makes the best soup!!!  By the time my tomatoes were cooked and pressed, I was ready to quit.  I love the feeling that I get after these hard jobs are accomplished!!!  I think it's so important to preserve our own homegrown foods!!!  Thanks mom for teaching me these ways!


The laundry is now off the line and folded!  I even got to sit in the sun just a bit reading the penny saver!  I love that the windows are wide open and it looks like a lovely night to be with my hubby and kiddoes!!! 

I am feeling blessed!!!  Thank you Lord!!!