Wednesday, September 9, 2020

September!

 September is one of my favorite months of the year!  The skies are just blue blue! The weather starts to cool down but yet the afternoons are warm and the evenings are cooler.  It's when I am ready to turn off the AC in the house and open up all the windows.  However, it's also the time of year when Mike starts with fall allergies.  He only deals with this a few weeks out of the year and I'm very grateful it's usually on the mild side but Sunday night he had a sneezing fit and had to stay inside.  With all windows closed tightly.  With a box of tissues near by.

September is one of favorite months also because that's when pumpkin season begins!  I love all things pumpkin and can't wait to enjoy some fall flavored drinks!  The smells of cinnamon and nutmeg warm me!  The colors of my hydrangeas are turning from white to pink.  The Teddy Bear pumpkins that we grew in the garden are ready to display on the front porch!

September is when I find myself reaching for all the plaids and long sleeve shirts!  It's the time when campfires are needed to stay warm durning the evening hours.  

School is usually in full swing by September and we are in a routine of good bed times and back to packing lunches.  Austin had his first full day of kindergarten.  He was both excited and nervous.  He was excited to finally take his lunch along to school but nervous that the day would be long. He was right.  He came back home this afternoon happy and with a smile but he said he cried one time near the end of the day.  He was ready to come home.  He said that Mrs. Glick was with him and he seemed totally fine when he came bouncing into the house door after school!

While Austin enjoyed his first full day at school, Ashlyn was home on the couch.  She woke up saying she didn't sleep good.  She said her head hurt a bit.  She didn't look real great out of her eyes but she got dressed and ate some breakfast and went with me to drop the school children off at school.  Car pulling with Lena has been such a life saver to not have to run to school twice a day, every day!  I took them all this morning and Lena brought Austin back home for me!  Ashlyn and I walked together to her class to see what her teacher recommended and after trying to take her temperature in the school office, I just brought her along home with me.  The school termomators were not working and this is the year to let the kids home if there is any question of them being at school.  She came home and slept on the couch while I worked in the kitchen.  

I thought this was going to be my first "long day" alone at home.  I asked my mom to come help me make some salsa to can.  She came and we chopped, cut, mixed and cooked up two batches of fresh salsa and then filled our pint jars and cold packed them for 10 minutes.  The house smells like fresh salsa now and mom also canned some sweet peppers.  Ashlyn slept almost the whole time we worked in the kitchen.  She woke up feeling better and played the rest of the afternoon.

Matthew is back into school and even though he loved, loved his summer job at the shop, it's now time to focus on studies and more on golf.  He is playing on the school gold team and is doing a really great job!  It makes for a long, busy day because he goes straight from school to golf and is home after supper.

Hadassah is deep into cleaning houses and offices and loves to be with her friends!  She hopped on the mower after lunch today for me and cut the grass.  We keep getting these summer rains that turned our yard into a beautiful green lawn once again and we are back to mowing twice a week!

I love September and hope to enjoy the beautiful as they come!  The spend those last warmer days outside are top on my wishlist.  To move from summer into fall mode is always a highlight for me!  To sip on those pumpkin drinks are delicious!

Enjoy these last days of summer!