Saturday, August 20, 2016

Preserving summer foods ...

Our string beans from the garden are growing!  Ashlyn jumped out of the Yukon the minute we got home on Wednesday evening from the beach.  She was so excited to go check up on our watermelon growing in the gardens.  Her and I went to go take a peek.  We were terribly disappointed to see that the biggest watermelon was split.  Why?  From what?  What happened?  We don't know.  We will try watermelon again next year.  But, the string beans were ready to be picked!!!  And we got more little tomatoes!!!
 

My tomatoes have done well this year!  We harvested enough of zucchini to last for awhile.  The herb box is bursting!  The row in the back is basil ... which happens to be my favorite herb!!!

I made salsa the other day!  Matthew and Ashlyn helped me chop up the vegetables.  The onions made tears in Matthew's eyes and the garlic send Ashlyn's eyes crying!  She asked for her sunglasses so she could finish up her job!  :)


Baby Gold Peaches are now canned and ready to be put on the shelves! 

Abundance of tomatoes.  I pick them after they are ripe and stick them in the freezer after cutting off the tops.  Then when I have enough to make a messy job worth while, I will cook all the tomatoes and juice them.  This makes for great tomato soup!


Our summer foods are winding down and school will be starting next week!!!  Our little garden beds have blessed us abundantly this year!