Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Pumpkin Scones ...

I made my first batch of pumpkin scones today!!! 


The house smells totally amazing and I'm happy how they turned out!!! 

With or without chocolate chips.




I made one batch of regular pumpkin and another batch with chocolate chips added in.  Both times I used the same recipe but just added in some chocolate chips the second time around!

Last week when I made the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies I didn't make a fuss about them to Mike because I really made them for Sunday's baptism meal.  But Hadassah asked if she could take a few to Jess's house on Saturday night.  Of course I said yes.  When Mike dropped off Hadassah at Jess's house, he noticed the cookies.  He asked if he could have one and she said no.  :))))  So, on Sunday morning when Mike made his fresh cup of hot coffee I told him he can have a cookie with it.  He was all over me about not letting him know that I made them the day before.  :/

So this time I texted him to let him know that we have pumpkin scones in the house.  Just baked an hour ago.  I again really want them for a cousin gathering tomorrow but I will gladly have a taste tester tonight!!!  :)))  I hope they are as good as they smell!!!

Here's the Pinterest recipe that I used:

PUMPKIN SCONES (STARBUCKS COPYCAT)

2 1/4 C. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 C. packed light brown sugar
3 Tb. sugar
1/2 C. butter, cold and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 C. + 1 Tb. canned pumpkin puree, chilled (don't chill in can)
3 1/2 Tb. buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tb. honey
1 Tb. half and half

GLAZE:
1 C. powdered sugar
2 Tb. half and half, then more as needed

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well blended.  Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter.  Large pieces of butter should no longer be visible. 
In another bowl, wick together chilled pumpkin puree, buttermilk, egg, vanilla extract and honey.  Add it to the flour ingredients.  Stir mixture with a wooden spoon and mix well.  Dust a work surface with flour and dump the dough on top.  Pat and shape dough into an even 8-inch round.  Using a large knife, slice into 8 equal wedges.  Dust the knife with flour as needed while cutting, it will be fairly sticky.
Transfer scones to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Brush tops with 1 Tb. half and half and bake for 13 -15 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and cool 10 minutes (no longer) before spreading with glaze.

For the glaze:
In a mixing bowl whisk together powdered sugar and half and half.  Adding more half and half as needed to reach desired consistency.  It should be fairly thick not runny.  Spoon and spread mixture on the scones to evenly coat tops.  Use all of it.  Let glace set at room temperature. 

Store in an airtight container before devouring them!!!!  :)

===============================

The windows are open and the humidity broke!  Fall is in the air and pumpkin is in the house!!! 

I must add too that since last Tuesday Austin has been a different child!!!  Those teeth broke through and he truly is our happy baby/toddler now!!!  (Do we still call them babies if they are one year old???)  He is much more patient!  Not near as demanding!  So pleasant!  We are rejoicing and hoping this stage will stay for a very, very long time!!!!!!  Thank you Jesus!!!!