Monday, May 21, 2018

Busy/Favorite Month!

I'm sure you may all know by now that May is one of my favorite months of the year.  The earth around me is so green!  Everything is growing and thriving ... the grass and weeds!  School is winding down and giving us a run for our money in trying to keep up with all the activities!  The daylight is longer in each day and teas, herbs, flowers and plants are showing off their beauty!  And right here is what we call "meadow tea".  You can buy these tea leaves in the greenhouses and most times it's called apple mint tea.  I grew up drinking lots of this tea because my mom is an expert in making this and the house always smells so good after its brewed!  I have some of this fast, spreading tea in my garden!  I also have a small patch of peppermint tea that seems to be going crazy with our damp, rainy weather we've been having!  Ashlyn picks me a bowl full of leaves and then after I boil a pot full of water, I dump in the washed tea leaves and let it seep for 10 minutes.  Then I add a cup of sugar into a glass gallon pitcher and pour in the concentrate.  Fill the rest of the gallon with fresh cold water.  Stir and get it cold as soon as possible!  We love this refreshing tea!!!
 

Linville Hill Christian School had their Spring Program the other night.  I loved the songs that first grade sang and beamed at how darling looked up there!!!



Fresh strawberries ... there's nothing like it!!!  I just bought myself a quart of these from Kauffman's today!  It's the very beginning of the strawberry season and ours in our garden should be ripening within the week!  They are so red and juicy and delicious!  I cannot wait to add these fresh fruits to our foods!!!


The other week I heard Joanna Gaines mention on their show something about "strawberry butter".  My ears perked up and I went right to Pinterest to look it up.  Some days I wonder why I never thought of simple foods like this and now that I know Magnolia Table serves it in their restaurant, I knew I had to give it a try.  As I sat down yesterday afternoon with my new Magnolia Cookbook, these two recipes stuck out to me!  I had to get Pinterests help with the strawberry butter though.  All I did was beat some butter and fresh strawberries together!!!
 
 

The Bow Tie Pasta looked so yummy and it was really pretty simple to put together.  I did do my own little switch up here and there because I couldn't find any artichokes at the grocery store and the sun dried tomatoes I set on the side for only those of us that like these could add them.  I also added sliced mushrooms to the pasta dish!!!  So yummy!


I also tried making the biscuits to go with the strawberry butter!!!




I served all these for dinner tonight with fresh spinach and kale on the side!!!

Then after the dishes were done (thanks Hadassah), we were off to the races for Matthew's baseball game!  It was the perfect weather tonight for a game and even though they lost, it was close!!!  They also had a make up game to play later in the evening but I came home with the little ones and bathed them and tucked them into bed.  Ashlyn fell asleep the minute her head hit the pillow.  First grade got to go to Skyzone today as a Community Clean Up reward!!!  She loved it and had a great time!!!



 





Watching Matthew play ball for the Tigers is so fun!!!  They try their best and stay focused!!!  Good playing tonight Matthew!!!

One last thing to document here yet before I'm off to bed is that last Friday my mom and sisters all went out for the day!  We started with going to Gracies on West Main and ate a delicious brunch there!!!  From there we went to Goodwill and devoured the "new clothing" bins!!!  We made a few other shopping stops and then finished off at Sweet Shenanigans for cupcakes.  Austin kept asking me every day if anyone got me a birthday cake yet?  When my mom came to our house that morning, he asked her if she has a cake for me?  Mom smiled and said that today she would make sure I get my cake.  Austin went to Felicia's house while I went out with the ladies and I was sure to take a picture of me with my cup"cake" so Austin could see that yes, Mommy did buy me a "cake".  The cupcake was delicious and the whole day was so fun!!!


Shaelyn got to tag along with us for the day and she took our picture for us!!!




There is so much more that's coming up during the month of May and I'll try to share as they come and go!!!

Have a great week everyone!!!