Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Dad's Open Heart Surgery journey.

January 21.

My dad woke up Sunday morning not feeling well.  He had chest pressure and so he went outside to feed his steers and walked around.  He filled the stove up at the shop and came back home and told mom to treat his back.  Everywhere she touched, it hurt really bad.  He was having horrible chest pains.  He went upstairs to think about getting ready for church and then he threw up.  Like crazy.  He called for moms help and to call 911.  Mom called two of my brothers and they were on their way to church but turned towards Mom and Dad's house.  Dad managed to get in the shower to wash up from throwing up and by the time my brothers got there, he was feeling a bit better.  Brother Jason passed us on our way to church and he was flying!  He called and said that mom needs help.  Something came over dad.  We go right past Mom and Dad's house to go to our church, so we swung in the same time by brothers got there.

Dad was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  EKG showed his heart was OK.  The hospital ran some tests and said he can go home.  Mom, Dad and my brothers were not OK with that.  They requested Dad stays for more tests.  He was admitted that Sunday night and stayed for more tests on Monday.

Echocardiogram was done on Monday.  Dad was being monitored the entire time.  He was not having much chest pressure anymore but his test showed something not right with his Aorta Valve.  The doctors said to skip a stress test and order an catheterization.  Meanwhile, Mom was home with a migraine.  She was throwing up and couldn't by in the hospital at all.

Tuesday, Mom was able to go the hospital and wait for dad's catheterization to be done.  Dad's doctor came in later that night and said that there is significant blockage in three of his main arteries.  They will need to a bypass with all three and replace his aorta valve.  Open Heart Surgery is scheduled for Thursday.  Wow!  That was a shock reading that text from Jody!  

On Wednesday, Dad needed a dental exam at the hospital to get prepped for surgery.  This is a lot to process for Dad and for our family.  My siblings have been in the hospital non stop to be with Mom when she gets doctor reports.  The children have all been asking about Dad!  We crowded Dad's room with family as he waited for surgery.  Wednesday night, the dentist came in and looked in dad's mouth and said he's good to go!  Then about an hour later, a nurse came back in and said that his surgery is canceled for Thursday because they need to pull three of Dad's teeth and have him on antibiotics for a gum infection.  What???  You are kidding!  I was not happy!  My dad doesn't like dental work done, no one does, and now this first???  Three teeth are a lot gone missing!  He can't grow them back.  Dad was so good through this all.  He said over and over again, "God is so good!"

Thursday, he had three teeth pulled and now has a sore mouth.  Surgery was rescheduled for Monday.  I wanted to cry!!!!!  Mike and I had an anniversary trip planned to leave Friday - Monday.  Mom and Dad both said to go.  I hate making decisions like this!!!  We had plane tickets, house reservations made, a car rental in place, babysitters lined up .... it seemed like a lot to cancel one day before leaving.  We decided to stick to our plans and come back ready to support dad!

Thursday, I told Dad I loved him and that we would be back on Monday night!

Friday morning, Mike and I were up by 3:45 AM to drive to Philadelphia to catch our morning flight to Florida.  We boarded, turned our phones on Airplane mode and took off.  As soon as we landed, I turned back off of Airplane mode and read my texts.  I had missed calls from my brother.  What I read, I could not believe.  I was told to call LaVern right away.  Dad was having surgery today.  I started to cry!  What? Why?  Change again?  I felt so stupid being in Florida when Dad was having his surgery now on Friday.  I called LaVern and was able to talk to talk to Dad right before they rolled him into surgery.  I didn't fear things going wrong with Dad but you don't have that guarantee.  I cried and told him I loved him again.  My family surrounded Mom and Dad went into surgery.

Mike and I got off the plane and I was a mess.  I just cried!  I wanted to be with my family.  This was our 23rd Wedding Anniversary trip.  I wanted to celebrate with Mike!  I wanted to be in Florida but not when this was going on back home.  I knew there really wasn't anything I could do but pray, stay in touch with phone calls and texts and wait to see Dad when we get back home late Monday night.

Friday night, we got the call that Dad's surgery is still going.  Much longer that expected.  Again why?  They did Dad's bypasses and one was leaking so they had to do that one again.  The doctor came out and gave a good report.  At 2:30 AM, my phone rang.  Mike's phone rang.  What now?  My brother John Micheal called and said that something wasn't good with Dad.  His blood pressure was dropping and they need to reopen him up soon to see what was going on.  The surgeon came back to the hospital at 3 AM and Dad went back into surgery.  Again, I cried, prayed and tried to sleep.  There was not much more I could do being so far away!  

Saturday morning, Dad was back out of surgery and trying to wake up.  He had tremendous pain!!!!  John Micheal FaceTimed me and I was able to see Dad and talk to him.  I wish I would have screen shot what I saw.  Dad was off of the breathing machine but on a face mask.  His eyes were dark and he was covered with cords and on machines.  I told him that I love him and to keep fighting!  He mumbled back, "I'm trying."  I couldn't help but cry.  It looked horrible.  His pain was so severe.  

Mike and I spent some time on the beach with the sun shining on our faces!!!!  That did feel good but my family was back home supporting Mom and Dad.

Sunday, Dad was recovering with still a lot of pain.

Monday, we flew back home late that night.  Mike and I went to see Dad first thing Tuesday morning!!!!!  He was now on recovery and doing better with his pain level.  It just like a baby ... we prayed for Dad to sleep, eat and poop.  Dad didn't have a good day on Tuesday.  His bowls were backed up.  He threw up and swallowed it.  The nurse was right there to help him through a panic attack.  Dad was told that if he threw up, that could be fatal.  He made it through his panic and we sure are blessed to have good nurses and doctors to help through all of this!!!!  Dad needs rest!  He requested no visitors the first few days after surgery.

Wednesday was a better day!  He did therapy but not good enough to go just yet.  He had some visitors.  Mom was holding up well!  Every day, my siblings and family would take turns picking Mom up and taking back home each night.  

Thursday, Dad did therapy again and passed!  He was going home!!!!  Eleven days later and he is going back home!!!!  We were so excited!!!!!  Dad's healing is going well!  Keep praying that he stays healthy!  That he gains strength every day!  Thank you for praying!!!!!!

We surrounded Dad on the days that he waited for surgery.  Sunday - Thursday.


I dropped by to see Mommy D before heading in to another day in the hospital.  The food was actually good in there.


We just waited ....



This Dad on Thursday after they pulled out three teeth.  The poor guy!!!!!



I said goodbye to him before I left on Thursday.  I was heading to Florida in the morning.




We took the Littles in to see Daudy before surgery.  We grabbed an elevator photo.


Bags were packed and I took Hadassah out for her 22nd birthday!!!!  There's so much going on this week!



You can see my eyes are puffy and I'm trying to keep it together.  This was after we landed in Florida on Friday morning and I got the news Dad is having surgery that day.  Mike was so kind and prayed through this with me!


I FaceTimed Dad again on Sunday.  He looked a lot better but still having lots of pain.


Here is where Mike and I sat on Friday night when the doctor came in to give my family Dad's surgery report.  John Mike had the doctor on speaker phone so Mike and I could hear!  It was nice gestures like this that my family did for me when I was far away.


We were back home and Dad was able to walk to the waiting room for the first time!


He was so happy to see Hadassah!  The grandchildren have been so good at visiting and they really love Daudy and wished him well!


Another hospital walk.  This time I was beside Dad!  Good job!



Dad had many people stop and pray and bless him!  He thought it was time to try to shave the day before he went home!



No showers the entire he was in the hospital.  Only simple wipe downs.  

He passed therapy!!!!!  He's coming home!!!!


Mike and I went to visit Dad as soon as we could Tuesday morning!

The waiting room was a place gathered when Dad needed rest and sleep!


Thursday, February 1, Dad was discharged and came home!!!!!  Best news ever!


Very tired!  A very good warrior!  Dad fought hard to get to this spot!  We are so proud of him!!!!!!!


Now Mom and Dad are at home resting, healing and helping each other through this very emotional time! God really has bee close and good and was near the whole way through this journey!!!!  

GOD IS SO GOOD!