Monday, November 11, 2013

A weekend away with my family ...

Although we have traveled many, many miles in the past two weeks, it is good to be back home ... once again!  This time it was a weekend away spent with my family.  We as a family cherish these times together and I am just not sure why it goes so long before gathering once again.  I guess I need to do more of the inviting!!!  :)

Family get a ways are so much fun!!!  For the kids and for the adults!  Every year over M.A.C.S.A., we plan a weekend to go to Dad's cabin!  It's a small, really small, cabin in the woods.  It has memories going way back to my childhood.  I remember feeding wild bear, black bear, from my hand.  We feed them candy and corn, etc..  I don't think I would allow our children to be this bold or crazy!  But back then, it was so cool!!!  Dad's little cabin in the woods is cozy and warm.  The wood fire is blazing with heat the entire time!!!  Really!  He built a pole barn a few years ago beside the cabin and has bedrooms and two bathrooms in there.  This is where most of us sleep in the bunks and where the older children run off their sugar energy!  Mom filled a pinata up with candy and the first day there, they all had cups full of sugar!  Sigh.  However, the children loved it!

Everyone headed up Wednesday night except for us.  Mike went to work on Thursday and because the children had off school, they helped me clean the shop and pack up the suitcases for our trip.  After Mike's work day, we dropped off Ginger and Zoey at Sadie's (Thanks Sadie!!!) and we to were driving north!  We arrived with everyone already tucked in bed.  That was OK with me though because my day was busy and I was ready to sleep.

Friday, we slept in.  We have the whole nine yards breakfast every morning at the mountains.  So when you walked into the tiny kitchen you smelled fried bacon, scrapple, mush, creamed beef, eggs and some kind of sweet bite.  Sweet cinnamon rolls one morning and shoo fly cake the next.  So good!  We stretch the table out as far as possible and set the table.  We had room for everyone but four at the table and we squashed in to eat!  Four of the children sat in the living room.  As we passed the food around the table, we chatted.  We laughed.  We ate good.  We were full each time!  We are blessed!!!

We started our game session with playing "Panic".  It was fun but after a few games we were looking for something else to do.  I mentioned "Take One" but then spied "Dice".  We started shaking six dice and trying to remember back to my childhood years how to keep score.  It wasn't long before we had all six couples around the table playing some hot games of "Dice".  A great memory!  I know this will be a fun game to play over the holidays too!!!


In the early morning and evening, the men went hunting.  Mike was happy to not have to be pressured to go into the woods.  He already shot his six point buck!  We were really hoping to have some deer action and bring some meat along home with a few sets of horns ... but it didn't happen.  No one shot a deer this weekend.

Mike walked with the boys out to the woods.  Funny ... I'm not sure where Matthew got his gloves and boots? 


Saturday afternoon, it started to snow like crazy outside!  We were all warm and cozy (too warm at times :)  ) in the cabin and watching those huge flacks fall down from the sky, it really sparked the holiday spirit inside me.  I'm not a real big fan of cold weather.  However, I do enjoy a cozy fire, a hot drink and a Christmas music!  Bring it on!

This little girl loves the late, loud nights!  Such a cutie and crawling all over the place!  Love you dear Addison!

Megan and Ashlyn posing for the camera!

Hadassah and Morgan had a great time together!

Thanks so much to my family for making this past weekend another sweet memory for my family!  We love every one of you so much and we are looking forwards to some good "Dice" games over the holidays!!!

For today, the laundry pile is finally going down.  Washing blankets and sheets and all of the above, keeps me busy all day long.  Ladies Bible Study was yet another good, spiritually challenge for me this morning!  The kids are back to school.  Mike's back to his work and is so happy with well the business did this year so far!  All I have to say is ....

"GOD IS GOOD AND WE ARE BLESSED!  Thank you Lord for your many blessings and for sending your only Son to save me from all my sins!"

~ Amen!