Saturday, November 23, 2013

Getting ready for the upcoming holiday season!!!

I just noticed today that one of our calendars here at home never got flipped over to November.  Oops!  :)  I laughed and said, "It'll soon be time to flip that page again."  Isn't that the truth?  I mean week after week I keep thinking of things I would like to get caught up on ... and then it gets delayed.  Things like my personal journal where I write down my inner feelings and thoughts, no I do not do that too much on this blog.  I know you would thank me for this!  :)  Blogging is mostly the fun memories that we make as a family.  My journal usually gets the deep feelings written down in it.  Anyway, if you don't have a tablet for you to vent, you should really start!  It's healing.  It's valuable.  It's good for me!  :)  OK, now back to the blogging world ... I have been wanting to catch up with some other things too.  I am fully aware that catching up during the holiday season is really bad timing.  I will try my best to do only what needs done and let the rest for a snowy afternoon!

This past week we had some Christmas things/preparations going on.  Mom asked Jody and I to come down to help decorate her home for the holidays.  We realized exactly why she asked for help!  :)  She's got enough Christmas decor to start a store!  :)  Well, I might be exaggerating just a bit but she has lots of tubbies full of nice greens, bows, carolers, nativity scenes, etc..  She stores all her Christmas stuff in the attic.  It's not your typical attic mind you!  It's cool!  Her attic has rooms.  (No, she does not actually use them as rooms.  Just for storage.)  It's got a big spiral staircase going up to it.  Wood floors.  Windows.  It all comes with having a really old house.  We went from the main floor, to the upstairs, to the attic ... then back down with our arms full.  Jody counted 20 some steps!?  :)  Good exercise!  It's fun if you have stuff to work with when you are decorating a big house.  Mom said to move/pack up the non holiday house decor and replace it with greens, berries, etc..  So we did!!!  I made the comment that when dad comes home he'll be walking into the Christmas season!  I love a home decked out for the holidays!!!  I love to do this myself and I keep telling myself to hold back!  I don't usually decorate for Christmas till after Thanksgiving, but I'm tempted to get some things out today yet!  Mom's house looked great till late afternoon!  We went from room to room adding festive touches!  My favorite things that she has are her nativity scenes!  She's got a few of them, including a gorgeous nativity picture!  I think that really displays the whole meaning of why we celebrate Christmas!  Our Saviour was born into the world so that He could die to save us from ALL our sins!!!  I can't wait to see Mom's finishing touches when she adds fresh greens and some poinsettias!  My family can't wait to go to Dad's for our Christmas dinner and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells in her house!

I also had a day out shopping with Mike's mom and sisters!  This is always a fun day and really exhausting.  We start when the children get off to school and end after supper.  Walking through all the shops and trying to see so many things, is such a blast!  We all packed in the van and headed to the mall and surrounding stores.  We really missed Anna Ruth and Mary Sue not being with us!  Next year for sure you must join us!!!  I was able to cross off some gift items from my list and that makes me smile!  I also bought a new Christmas Wow CD, so now we have some fresh tunes to play here at home!!!

Looking ahead at next week ... it will be fun and busy all at the same time!  We've got school Thanksgiving parties!  Hadassah is completely gitty about shopping for some Black Friday deals.  And we have a Thanksgiving Dinner to attend!  We are so blessed!!!

========================

I mowed the yard hopefully for the last time this afternoon.  I still have some leaves blowing all around but the weather is getting colder.  I got myself all bundled up before getting on the mower.  I am bracing myself for a cold winter.  I love that germs get froze.  I love sipping on hot beverages when it's so frigged outside.  I love when it snows and snows a lot!  I love being warmed by fireplaces.  I love playing games around the kitchen table.  Maybe, I'll even get the kids to help me put a big puzzle together!?!  However, the cold wind and chill comes with Winter.  It's my least favorite season.  I am determined to make the best of it and the first signs of Spring will get me excited!!!

Reflect on your blessings this upcoming Thanksgiving week!  When I start to count my blessings and take a look around at all I am blessed with, my "cares of this world" seem to shrink.  I love Thanksgiving and I really love that our country still celebrates a day of "giving thanks".  It will be turkey eating with mashed potatoes, corn, salad and pumpkin pies for us this week!  I know I keep saying it - but I cannot say often enough how rich our family is to have family, friends & food!  And heat.  And shelter.  And fuel.  And health.  Etc, etc..  God is really so good to us!  Let's remember to THANK HIM!!!

THANK HIM TODAY!  Next week.  Next Thursday!  Till the end of the year!  Forever!!!  It's not what I deserve, but it's a free gift from God!