Monday, February 3, 2014

13th Anniversary Getaway!

We had a great time on our 13th anniversary getaway this weekend!!!

Mike and I headed for Philadelphia on Friday night.  We had the kids settled with sitters and the time of just him and I was fun!  We drove to our reserved hotel stay.  We had a room right beside the river walk and could see the ice on the river float by.  We ate dinner at the Chart House.  My stomach was a tad on the touchy side (I think we all had this stomach thing now!) and Mike wanted something lite.  Our soup, salad and seafood was yummy.  We walked the river walk back to our room and spent the night in our cozy room!

Mike brought me a dozen of red roses when he came home from work!!!  Thanks Hun!!!


Saturday morning, we woke up early and I just had to chuckle.  Why are we waking up 6:30?  We didn't set an alarm clock.  We could sleep in.  We didn't have the kids to feed breakfast this morning.  But, it was so nice to lay under the soft covers and watch the sun rise up over the city!!!  The reflection on the water was gorgeous.  We have this thing with sunrises and sunsets!!!  It's a gift from our Creator!  Each set is different.  They are so gorgeous and we love to watch both the rises and the sets!!!

 
We had breakfast delivered to our room!  The catering is so fun every now and then!!!  I have no idea how someone can charge $14 for one omelet ... but we were grateful for our AAA discount!  :)  We asked for suggestions on what the best way to tour the city of Philadelphia would be.?.  We decided to take a 21 stop bus tour.  They gave tons of history and info as we traveled the city streets.  They stopped at each historical spot and if you wanted to get off and walk around, you could.  We got off at the Reading Terminal Market to see some relatives and get a free donut!  Thanks guys!!!  Delicious!  We also bought a juice drink at the juice bar.  I've had many of these before but decided to go with a really healthy choice this time.  Wheat grass, spinach, celery and carrots.  I tried it and thought, "Oh, this isn't too bad."  Then I after I drank some more, I thought, "Well, this isn't really all that good either!!!"  Mike tried it and thought it was terrible!!!  I managed to drink the entire drink because one ... it cost $$$.  Two ... because I knew it was healthy!!!  :)  Holding one of Uncle Alvin's homemade donuts in one hand and my healthy drink in the other hand seemed a bit odd.  Mike and I then walked the streets and learned more about our nations history.

Along the river walk ...

 
We saw lots of ships.  The river has a bunch of ice floating on it right now.  The locals say that you don't see this very often.  
 
Mike and I on our bus tour!
 
Mike ran up sets of many steps at one stop.  I was right behind him!  Rockie ...
 
Many detailed buildings!


 
 
My man!!!
 
The city of Love!!! 
 
Here's my nasty, I mean healthy, drink!  :)

 
Yummy!

By 3:00, we were back for our luggage and vehicle.  We were excited to try a "Philadelphia Cheese Steak" and so again we asked for opinions on the best place to go.  The motel guy referred us to "Tony Luke's".  We pulled up along the street and parked.  There was a line for food!  We hear that there is always a line.?.  Mike and I shared a sandwich and it was tasty!  From there we headed back home.  Back to 'real life'.  Back to the kids and our warm house!  Many thanks to John Mike and Mim & Matt's for caring for our children while we were out of town!!! 

Thank you so much Hun for the getaway with just you and I!!!  "I love you!!!" ~ Lori