Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Canning has begun.

Last week was the start of canning for me.  The kids are now back in school and it's time to fill up those cellar shelves.

Apple Sauce is something I must can every year.  We love it!  Normally, we go to Mom Lapps and she gets all the apples.  We are a bit earlier this year but wanting to get this chore over with, so we couldn't get our normal apple selection.  Usually, we mix Ginger Gold apples with Smokehouse.  Half and half.  But Smokehouse wasn't available yet so I got Ginger Gold apples and mixed them with Summer Rambo.  I did two baskets of each kind. 

We cut the apples in half and then cut out the seeds and core.  They get cooked in a little bit of water until soft and then put them through a Victorian Strainer and add sugar.  The hot apple sauce goes into jars and then cold packed for 10 minutes.  This is a fun canning day for me!  I love the apple sauce all year long!!!   





Having it all set up outside of Mom Lapps porch is perfect!!!  We have all the mess outside!


We were finished up soon after lunch. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Marinara Sauce was also canned last week.  This sauce I use for our pizza's, spaghetti and any type of tomato base sauce!!!  It's delicious and one recipe makes a big pot full!!!


I got all these just from making one batch!!!  Oh, it smells so good!!!


Because I made this here at home, I set up my canner in the garage.  That worked out perfect too to have all that heat outside of the kitchen!!!!

 
 
Canning is work but so worth the efforts!!!  I did peaches two weeks ago and Hadassah is loving them!!!  I have a few soups that I would like to can yet sometime this fall!!!
 
Cheers to full canning shelves!!!