Friday, December 15, 2017

Christmas festivities.

Our packed full week of fun Christmas festivities is coming to an end.  Then we start up again next week with more!!! :) On Monday, Mike and I went over our weeks schedule.  It seems to help ahead of time if you should expect a busy week because then we are some what mentally prepared for it and it just don't seem to be as stressful if I focus on one day at a time.  That's what I need to do better at anyway.  One day at a time and enjoy each moment to the fullest!!!  That was our intent and goal for this week!

Now, most of our events were only evenings this week so that gave me days at home to finish up our Christmas lists (well, I'm still not sure what to get for Mike but if it ends up just being a card, just being together is the best gift of all anyway!!!).  We started off with Matthew playing a basketball game on Monday.  He wasn't feeling the best and his bad cold was about to get the best of him!  He was sure to keep tissues near by and he sat on the side lines a bit more because of how he was feeling.  They lost this game but still played hard!  It was a quick stop by Chickfila before heading home for hot showers and rest!!!  Good job Matt!




On Tuesday, the kids dressed up in their Sunday best and off to school they went.  At noon, Austin and I went over to school to watch the Christmas Program the students performed for us.  The program was opened with prayer and when "Amen" was said, Austin also said a loud "Amen".  I grinned and looked at him and then said, "Well, now everyone knows that we are here."  :)  This child of ours is such a energy ball and it stresses me out so much when we attend things that require him to else 1.) hold still or 2.) be quiet.  He can barely do both!!!  Mike and I know and often say that we have no idea how to parent all this energy and what to do to contain it!!!  Do we constantly scold him?  How do we teach a two year old to whisper?  Or when I tell him to 'not talk', what do I do when he does?  He hears what we tell him but it's like ten seconds later, he forgets.  Literally!!!  We love, love his energy for life and Mike loves to remind me that all of his aggressiveness comes from the Riehls but when we attend events that require him to hold still and be quiet, it's so stressful!!!  I'm not sure why I decided to go to the noon program ... I guess there is still enough of me wanting to be there for Ashlyn and the others that makes me go.  I secretly hopped he would take a nap through the program but that idea failed.  The children did a wonderful job at singing meaningful songs and I even teared up when Ashlyn's class sang their songs to Jesus!!!  It was so touching to see children worship Jesus through songs!!!  But when the play began, Austin was a mess.  I finally looked at him and said that he is embarrassing me.  He doesn't know what that means just yet but I felt like a mom that cannot control her wired child!  We was pure entertainment for all those who sat behind us!!!  We did make it through the program and I was blessed through the songs and play!!!  Austin fell asleep on the way home and did get a good nap later in the afternoon.  Meanwhile, while he napped, Ashlyn played with Hunter and Shakia.  Hunter came with us home after the program because Lena had to leave the play early.  Shakia ended up coming with us home too because her little brother Wyatt had to go to the hospital for IV.  He has a virus on top of a virus and was dehydrated. We are thankful that he is on his way to better health!!!  For the evening program, Austin did not go along.  Mike and I were able to sit down and enjoy the show in peace!!!  :))  Great job Linville Hill with yet another wonderful program!!!

 

After a good nights rest, the kids were up again and off to school.  Shakia ended up sleeping here overnight because Wyatt had to stay in the hospital overnight.  I was reminded that I need to be grateful for Austin's health and energy because I'm sure Mindy is ready for Wyatt to be feeling 100% again and running around again!  Then a group of ladies sat around my kitchen table as we totaled up our profits from our poinsettia fundraiser we did a few weeks ago.  Our church is building a new church house and we sold poinsettias to help raise funds for this.  Thanks to everyone who bought these beautiful flowers and supported our cause!!!  When these ladies left, I went right to the kitchen to start preparing foods for our evening "Christmas Favorites Party"!!!

I got the idea from the Magnolia Journal Magazine.  The theme is for everyone invited to the party was to bring a favorite item they really liked in the past year.  Mike and I invited our "50's Group" to our house for a fun night of food and gifts.  Mike took the little ones over to his mom's house while I finished up the foods.  Couples began arriving at 6:30 and we had a great night of laughter, eats and gifts!  It really was fun to see what each person brought.  The ladies gave gifts to the ladies and then the men did the same thing as we sat together in the living room.  We each took our gifts and gave them out while telling them why it was a favorite.  Of course, Mike had to go off my telling them why a pen and glass mug are his favorites right now.  He is so good at making simple things turn into stories!!!  I love this humor in him!  We all ended up with gifts to take home and enjoy! 

These candied cranberries are easy to make.  All you do is boil 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/2 cup of water.  Stir in fresh cranberries and lay out on a tray.  Let them set for one hour and then roll them in sugar.  They are tart and sweet at the same time.  They add a touch of red to cakes and foods.  So easy!  Thank you Pinterest!



The menu for the party was finger foods.  Cheese ball and crackers.  Meatballs and chicken, basil balls.  Mushrooms and hot ham and cheese roll ups.

Olives from Costco.  So yummy!!!  Cucumber bites ... cucumbers with cream cheese, yogurt, dill and ranch dip mix all mixed together and then piped on top of a cucumber.  These are simple and lite!!!

Again, thanks to Costco for the delicious cakes.  I topped the one with cranberries.  Ginger cookies and fruit filo cups added to the desserts.


Here are all the gifts that Mike and I received.  Again, each person brought a favorite item.  I bought four Magnolia Journal Magazines as my favorite gift and gave each lady one.  Everyone did this and that's how we got this collection!!!  Thanks friends!!!  We ended the party with playing a few rounds of Couplzs!!!  It's a fun game to play with couples.


Lapp's Structure's Banquet was last nights event.  Mike does such a good job at running this crew of employees and the banquet is one way of showing our appreciation to them!!!  The children got a dressed up again and we headed to Shady Maple.  One major thing was different though!!!  Dad Lapp was there with us!  We miss him so much but especially at the company banquet!!!  Dad started this shed business 30 years ago.  I just know he would be so proud of the guys and Mike!!!  The meal was hot and yummy.  Allen showed a slide show of some the sheds that were built in 2017.  Mike had a nice speech of appreciation for the employees and all those who make the business be a success!  We were blessed with a few gifts again.  The employees gave us a luggage set!!!  Many thanks!  We were also blessed with small gifts from some and the shoofly pie will be enjoyed and poinsettias are on my dining room table!!!  Thanks everyone for all you do for us!!!

Mike giving his nice speech.

The kids were exhausted again as we tucked them into bed.  Mike does a great job at the whole banquet event but he really is glad when it's over.  He bought himself some smoked salmon and came home to watch a movie to unwind.  His man cave in the basement is his relaxing mode.  I'm SO proud of you Hun!!!  You are the best employer!!!

Now today, the school lunches got packed once more and laundry is being done.  I have some candles burning and I'm waiting for more snow to fall!!!  The weather man said this morning to expect more snow flurries by noon.  I love the snow and love to watch it fall from heaven!!!  If it don't snow too much, we will go cheer for Matthew at his next basketball game!!!  Go Linville!!!

This schedule seems all crazy and busy but each day has it's blessings!!!  Christmas is here and the kids keep asking when they can open up the gifts under the tree!  "Soon", I keep telling them.  The Christmas Season is here but Christmas day is still a coming!!!  I caught Austin in the act!  He got a scissors and had Ashlyn's gift right beside him when I asked him what he's doing?  He was going to open it!!!  I am so glad I saw him before damage was done!!!  :)


This is something Austin and I started doing almost every day together.  He loves his blocks and everyday we build new towers.  It's fun and I like it too.  Austin always finishes it off with adding some hockey guys to the scene.


Here are the towers for today.
 
Have a wonderful weekend!!!  We are looking forwards to sleeping in and maybe putting another puzzle together?  Mike and I might even get to go on our Christmas date!?!  I would love that!

PS ... I just love it when these birds show up right outside my kitchen window!

 
 
 And this is what happens when snow does fall!!!  Ashlyn loves, loves to eat it!


And Austin's all into his broccoli right now!  He doesn't get this from me!!! 

And he likes the snow too.
 

    Have a fun weekend and enjoy the snow if it ends up at your house!!!