Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Eczema

Ever since birth, Matthew has dealt with eczema on his skin.  Hadassah had it too when she was younger but seemed to outgrow her condition.  Matthew always has rough feeling skin on his legs.  His legs are the worse and look terrible.  His legs get so itchy and is always worse in the winter months.  The other night, at midnight, he woke up crying and madly itching and itching his legs.  I feel so bad for him and he has often asked to go to the doctor and get some meds for it.  I have asked my family doctor lots about his condition and all they recommend is cortazone.  They say the prescription for eczema makes the skin thin and to not take that route if not really necessary.

Well, I just finally had enough of all this itchy pain for him.  We have tried lotions, drinking aloe vera juice, vinegar baths, norwex rags, etc..  Maybe I don't give things enough of a chance to work because when I have a situation like this in my life ... I want it fixed yesterday!!!  I know the summer months are coming up and when he wears shorts and exposes his skin to sunshine, it make a huge difference.  However, what do we do for now???

Yesterday, I went to a local health food store and asked what they would recommend.  I went looking for some kind of oil, a salve, and something to take internally.  If I can get something that works on the inside out that would be great!  I came home with these ... Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and Norwegian Cod Liver Oil!

Coconut Oil seems to be in the in thing right now and after doing some research last night, I can understand why!  This oil is such a healthy oil for your skin, body, and tons more!  You can cook with it and it can be used instead of butter!  You can use it to wash your hair.  Use it for a lotion or moisturizer!  Put it on a piece of toast!  Yummy!  The benefits are huge!!!  It helps lower blood pressure, helps with cholesterol levels, it is great for your heart, it is known to help with losing weight, it helps your thyroid, plus tons more!!!  As I was researching last night, I just couldn't believe all the great benefits from this very tasty oil!  I happen to love the smell and taste of coconut (guess that's why I love Almond Joy's), so I know that using this oil will not be a problem at for me to start to like!

This morning I made Mike some toast and put coconut oil on top instead of butter.  Then I tried it too!  I love it!  I made pancakes for the kids breakfast this morning, and instead of using butter in my pan, I used a small dab of coconut oil!  At first, when they realized I used that instead of butter, they turned up their noses.  After they tried it though, they loved it!!!  They cleaned their plates and Hadassah actually asked for seconds!!!

We are rubbing this oil on Matthew's legs. I read that it is a great moisturizer for your skin!  We have tried vinegar baths, drinking aloe vera juice, lotions, cortazone, norwex, etc. .... and maybe I don't give things a chance to work very long, but I hope this oil will work for his itchiness!

I also got the Cod Liver Oil soft gels.  Matthew takes three with each meal.  This oil also has great health benefits.  I am really anxious to see if it's going to make a difference! 

If you think about it, put Matthew on your prayer list.  He itches his legs during the night and doesn't even realize it till morning.  When he wakes up, he's got bloody sheets and hurting, bloody legs!  I know summer is coming and when Matthew wears shorts and gets sunshine on his skin, it really helps but what about now?  Wait and watch and pray!!!

Check out these two oils online yourself and maybe you will be just as inspired as I was!!!