Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Flowers!!!

I went flower shopping yesterday and what a blast!!!  It was just mom and I and thank goodness too ... because the two of us bought so many flowers, it packed our vehicle!  We were full to the rim!!!

Greenhouses are like a breath of fresh air to me.  I ABSOLUTELY love them!!!  We are blessed beyond blessed in our area to have lots to visit, to see, and to compare prices!

Mom and I left yesterday morning with great anticipation!  I hadn't bought any flowers yet and was anxious to go see what I could find.  I always go with lots of petunias!  I think they are so pretty!  I plant a bunch too!  We both grabbed a cart and went isle to isle "ewwwing and ahhhing".  Mom would say, "Come look at these."  Then I would say, "Aren't these gorgeous?"  I ended up with cart #2!  (You can't stack flowers very easily you know!!!)  I also bought some more vegetables for our garden!  Peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and one jalapeno plant!

We carefully loaded up all our flowers and then stopped at a place that has antiques, etc..  I was wanting to find a shelf or something to put on my back porch, but as we pulled in the driveway I said, "Mom, if I do find something, we have no room to take it along!"  I did manage to find a small wood bin that I used for a planter and a very small wire I put my herbs into.  I had to hold it though on the way back home.  We stopped for lunch and then unloaded all my plants in my garage!  I couldn't wait to start planting!

It was 87 degrees outside!!!  Gorgeous!  Warm!!!  A little windy.  I dug small holes in the ground and carefully planted my flowers!  Even though I bought a lot, I knew that once I had them planted, I would probably need a few more.  (Yes, another chance to visit another greenhouse!!!)

Here's are some of my buys from yesterday ....

These are my FAV!!!!  They are called "Glow Forest Fire" petunia!  So brilliant!  The yellow petunia is "Sunray".
 This is a "Papaya" petunia and yellow daisy.
This "Dragon Wing Begonia" has a great color of red and a very nice green leaf!  The orange 'climber' is in the black eyed susan vine family.  Very bright orange color!
 Salvia ... orange daisy!
 This is that "Glow Forest Fire" petunia and I planted these in my window boxes with yellow tiny petunias.  The flower on the right is another petunia called "Supercal Pink Ice"!

The hanging basket is filled with a mix of favs!!!
This color is "SuperCal Terra Cotta".

I have a bank out front that I am going to plant some "Supertunia Vista Fuchsia" and "Supertunia Royal Velvet" petunia's.  They are like a bubble gum pink and a deep purple color!!!

Our dogwood tree is blooming!
 I bought some herbs yesterday too and planted them in small pots.  Also, my radishes will be ready for eating soon!
 Onions are growing ... lettuce is just about ready to pick!
Spinach and cut lettuce will be munched on soon too!!!

This is a "must have" summer drink at our house!!!  Meadow tea is an herb that grows on stems and spreads a lot!  You pick a big hand full of the leaves, wash them, and cook them in 8 cups of boiling water for 10 minutes.  Put one cup of sugar (give or take for your taste choice) in a gallon glass jar and pour your tea concentrate in your jar.  Fill the rest with cold water.  Cool as fast as possible!  (That's the secret to good tea!  My mom gets lots of complements on her tea and I think it's because she gets it cold fast!  I have a very cold water cooler in my garage and I use it the most during the summer!  It keeps milk, tea, soda's ... well just about anything very cold!)  This tea is so yummy and I made our first gallon on Saturday!

This glass full was for my hubby right before he left for the afternoon to play golf.  He deserves an afternoon off because he worked his butt off this past weekend with their customer appreciation days!  (Even if he didn't deserve it ... I try to always bless him when he gets some free hours of leisure!)  The warm afternoon was perfect for his golf craving!!!


I had all the windows open yesterday and most of them today already!  I love feeling the
breeze going through the house and that reminds me that summer is coming!

Enjoy your day and take time to thank God for your blessings!