Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Foods, February, Fun = Fabulous!

The Super Bowl is over.  The foods we prepared are all eaten up.  But what a fun!  Thanks Matt and Lena for the great wings and for being our host!

I am such a theme freak.  Tell me to make a food and I go searching for a recipe.  Tell me again to make a food AND give me a theme ... I go searching with a huge smile!!!

For some reason, having a theme helps me BIG TIME!  School parties are always fun because they are always focused around a holiday or special celebration!  I like that.  It clicks in my brain.  My brain starts whirling.  The whirl goes wild.  You get the point!

Anyway, knowing that the Super Bowl was coming up, I have been searching online and on food blogs ... whatever, just to see some fun ideas.  I try to stick to the fairly easy ones, so here's what we did.  Maybe, now you have a ahead start for the next Super Bowl Party!  :)))

Chocolate Covered Strawberries with a white chocolate strip to look like a football ....
 Found these online at 'fortheloveofcooking' called "Creamy Chicken Taco Cups".  This is a food blog that I recently am enjoying!  Go and find the recipe!  You will be glad you did!
Matthew helped with these ... paper footballs over juice cups!
 
 ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

This wasn't a Super Bowl food for us but it was our Saturday Night Indulge!!!  I made soft pretzels the other week for Hadassah's class for a birthday treat.  They turned out 'not so good' and so we tried another recipe and these were SO MUCH BETTER!!!  Much easier too.  That just didn't seem fair to me after I made this simpler recipe and they were way better.  Oh well.  This will be my go to recipe for soft pretzels from now on!!!

I made some pretzel logs with ham and cheese and wrapped the pretzel dough around it.  Hadassah did some pretzel shapes.  Then we did some pretzel pieces.  We coated these in cinnamon and sugar and wowie!!!  Yum!  We added a fun chocolate dip that was just as easy as the recipe was!  Thanks to 'Annieseats' for that recipe!  (Didn't take a picture of the chocolate but I used the same thing for the strawberries above.  Go to Annieseats to find a perfect picture and more ideas!)

 
Soft Pretzel Recipe ...
 
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 Tb. yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cup occident flour
2 cup regular flour
4 Tb. baking soda

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add sugar, then add flour, knead well.  Let rise for
20 minutes.  Roll into pretzels and dip into 1/2 cup cold water with the 4 Tb. baking soda. 
Put on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with pretzel salt.  Bake 500 degrees for 7 minutes.  Dip in melted butter!  Yield:  12 pretzels. 
 
Chocolate dipping sauce was 5 oz. chocolate chips put in a bowl.  Simmer 2/3 cup heavy cream in a sauce pan.  Pour over the chocolate and let set for 2 minutes and stir till it's all blended and smooth!
 
 
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

 
Matthew's class celebrated 100th day of school!!!  He took a hat with 100 pennies taped all over it.  He loves these glasses they made!  Totally hilarious looking ... but he likes them!  I do too!  :) 
 


]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

I went to Target earlier today to grab a few things we need for our upcoming family vacation!  Ashlyn asked for 'fries'!  This seems to be a fun food for her to munch on and I love, love the way to asks for them!!!  So cute!  I went through Chick-fil-a drive through.  She was thrilled!

I wasn't sure what I was going to have for lunch.  Nothing seemed too appealing in the fridge but I did grab a bag of snow peas and spinach at Target so I decided to make myself a veggie wrap.

I started with a little olive oil in my pan, then a soft tortilla, and then layered it with veggies.  Mushrooms, snow peas, tomatoes, spinach and cheese.  I splashed it with a dash of balsamic vinaigrette dressing.  Tasted wonderful!  Makes me feel 100 % healthy too!!!  :)


]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Well, that's it for my food blog post for now.  Would love to hear what you had for lunch today or a fun food! 

Valentines is next week ... so, yep, I am looking at recipes that include heart shaped cookies, pink hot chocolate and chocolate desserts!  Bring on the heart cookie cutter!!!  Please!

Blessings ~