Friday, February 1, 2013

February!!!

Oh yes!!!  I get excited when I can flip to the next month when it's winter time.  Now, in the Spring, Summer, and early Fall ... I want those months to last forever!  They never do.  They never will.  So winter is where we are now and that's OK.  (At least I am convincing myself of that fact.  :)  )

No, really though, it is February 1st today and this month will go by quickly too.  I know it.  My calendar is filling up with all kinds of fun events!!!  First - it's the Super Bowl Party on Sunday and I have been searching the Internet to find some fun food ideas!  Can't wait to try some!  Second - it's Valentines Day Month!!!  I love all the red, pink and hearts when you walk into stores and public places!  It's the month to celebrate LOVE and I love that!  Third - we will be heading south for a family vacation!  Bring on the sun and warmth!!!  :)

Thinking about the Super Bowl Party coming up ... I've been doing some online searching to see what fun foods others are preparing.  The typical wings, guacamole dips and desserts are all wonderful ideas!  I think we might have some of those ourselves!!!  (More to post about this later!)

And with the food word on my mind ... I was at a crepe brunch this week!!!  WONDERFUL!!!  I bought a ticket at our fall school auction and on Wednesday I enjoyed the food!  We were served a breakfast crepe.  A brown sugar banana crepe.  Then a strawberries and chocolate with berries crepe and PLUS we were given two to take along home!!!  The taste of crepes are so yummy and delicious.  I love all sweetness and the prettiness of them!  Thanks Lill for the wonderful eats!!!  (I have yet to eat my homemade truffles you made!  It will be my indulgence one of these moments!!!  :)  )

The menu and some of the awesome crepes!!!


As us ladies sat and chatted at the brunch, and then we shared some food ideas.  I am all ears when it comes to recipes.  I am a freak with this.  I collect cookbooks.  I search online.  I try them well some of them.  And then eat them!  :)  The other night I tried a new method of cooking vegetables because some of the brunch ladies said it was really good.  Roasting!!!  I tried Roasted Corn with Parmesan and Lime!  I took my frozen corn from my freezer and thawed it.  I then drained off the extra juice.  I sprayed a 9x13 pan with Pam and layed the corn in the pan.  I drizzled some olive oil on top and then some salt and pepper.  I heated the corn in the oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  The corn caramelizes and gets a light brown toasting color.  Then I added some Parmesan cheese on top and squeezed a fresh lime over the baked corn!  So tasty!!!  Try it!

I also had some buttermilk in the fridge to be used up.  I took chicken legs and cut them in two pieces.  (Separating the leg from the thigh.)  I put the chicken pieces in a Ziploc bag and dumped 2 cups of buttermilk over it.  Closed the bag and let the chicken soak in the milk a few minutes.  (The recipe calls for some ranch dip added to the milk but I didn't have any on hand so I didn't do that but I think that would be excellent too!!!)  I laid the chicken pieces on a greased pan and sprinkled it with dry bread crumbs.  Then some salt and pepper!  Baked this uncovered at 375 degrees for about an hour or until crispy and golden!  The kids and hubby loved this!  :)

Now, it's off to the laundry and baking some bars for our fellowship meal on Sunday at church.  We are helping with desserts and I can't wait to see how our 'brownie sundae bar' set up will look!  Then it will be preparing some lunch for me and my cute nieces and Ashlyn!  The girls are with me today and they have so much fun playing with Ashlyn!

Gotta go ...