Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ice Skating!!!

Sunday, we went to church and then home for lunch and relaxation!  Those precious Sunday afternoon hours of relaxing on the couch, or watching football, or playing games with the kids, or reading ... whatever it consists of, are wonderful!  Recharging my battery!

We got a text and said to come ice skating to the same pond we were at Saturday afternoon.  Matthew was the only one really into the idea.  It was cold.  I wasn't into getting all bundled up this time around ... but then I thought of when I was a kid.  WE ALWAYS LOVED THE SNOW AND ICE SKATING!  So, after Mike went out for a run, I made us some coffee, we ate some cereal and off we off to the cold outdoors!

The moment we pulled into the driveway and saw the cold, frozen pond, with a long string of lights going across it, we were ALL sucked into the whole idea!!!  However, the only skates we took along were white, figure skates.  When Matthew took a look at the neighbors boys skates that were already on the ice skating and then a look back at his skates he was to wear, he said NO WAY!  Never.  He was not going to where something that looked girlish.  :)  Thankfully, Amey and Marty had a pair boy pair no one was using and Matthew was so excited!

We all walked down to the pond and Mike gave Matthew about a one minute lecture on how to skate and before he was done ... Matthew just took off!  Like a pro!  No need for anymore instructions!  The whole night was fun.  Mike also found a pair of skates for himself (see, we weren't sure if we really were into the idea, but then after seeing the fun potential we were scrambling for skates).  :)  Mike played hockey with the neighbors that were there too and Matthew went skating round and round on the pond.  Hadassah and Angie had a blast on the rope swing again.  Ashlyn and I stayed warm by the campfire!  We sat on a wagon and watched the fun.  She feel asleep in my arms before we left.

Thanks so much again Amey and Marty for the invite and for the great fun!!!





 
 
 
I am not sure how you can go from a weekend of freezing cold weather and then today have the forecast say "46 degrees" and tomorrow 61.  Will it feel like spring.?.  I told the kids this morning before heading off to school that the pond they skated on Sunday ... they could probably now go swimming in it.  Well, I know, not really.  But, the ice will not stay frozen in warmer weather.  Maybe, just maybe, we will be able to do more skating later this winter!!!

Thinking about the word SPRING ... makes me happy!  Really happy!!!  I get so ready to get outside and work in the dirt.  Plant the garden.  Plant any flower that can handle a bit of cold yet.  Hoe the flower beds.  Work up the weeds.  Trim the roses.  Oh, yeah!  Can't wait!!!  YARD SALE!!!  Bring it on ... fast!!!

====================================

Reading this morning and still thinking a lot of the Esh family, I read about how God is with us "ALWAYS".  He never leaves us.  Never forsakes us.  I usually think of the footprints poem when it seems like God just vanished or isn't near by.  You know, in those trying moments in life.  The poem says something like ... "when you only saw one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

I know God carries me when I hurt.  I just need to realize that more at times.  Keep trusting in the God that never leaves us!!!  "I am with you always ..."  Matthew 28:19b