Sunday, January 20, 2013

Life is tough at times.

All week, I kept thinking of things to post.  Words of encouragement, yet, all the while feeling sad and discouraged.  I wanted to rejoice and yet heaviness just seemed to press all the harder.  I had good moments and then down moments.  Why is it so hard to put into "daily practice" all those verses I've read "for years" that talk about 'not to worry', 'not to fear', 'the Lord has plans for us', 'the Lord is my Shephard', 'He cares for the birds and He cares SO MUCH MORE for us humans', and 'peace'?

Ever since last Sunday night, my thoughts are have been in overload.  I don't remember the last time I have been in such 'constant prayer'?!  A good friend of ours from church hit his head on concrete after catching a football and was rushed into the hospital last Sunday evening.  He has laid there all week with the future of the unknown facing us face to face each day. 

Each morning, each day this past week, I woke up with the Esh family on my mind.  I would try to get some work done and then again my thoughts and lots of prayers went to Sam.  I realized a few years ago that I had a void, a spot in my life, where I asked God to fill up.  I like to be in control of my life.  The life of my family.  When things get 'out of control' and people get hurt or sick and there's nothing I can do to fix them on my own, I get weak.  I asked God to help me with this weakness.  I KNOW that God is my strength.  I BELIEVE that God cares for me, for my husband, for my children.  I KNOW to trust God in situations I can't handle or take care of.  Yet, then why is it so hard for me to have PEACE IN THE STORMS OF LIFE?   

I ask God often to help me trust Him more.  At 31 years old, I am learning this fact in life that not all things go as we want or plan or wish for or dream of.  It's tough.  Hard.  Really hard sometimes.  I hope that through trials and grief and sufferings in my life ... I will learn to keeping leaning on the everlasting arms of Jesus.  Learn to ALWAYS TRUST.  Not just trust when things are going great.  How weak is that?  I realize time and time again that I NEED GOD every day.  On the good, easy days as much as the hard, very difficult days!

Thursday night, I spent the night on the couch with Ashlyn.  She had a cold and bad cough.  Every time she would lay down, her cough got much worse.  I spent the night trying to comfort her.  Friday, the kids did not have school.  I woke up when Mike left for work and decided to go into bed and try to read some devotions and scripture.  Something that always seems to bring hope and peace!  Ashlyn woke up at 7:15, and so I came out to the living room and opened the blinds.  I was soooooo excited to see the sunrise!  The sky was filled with bright pink!  The sunrise was absolutely gorgeous!  I immediately was reminded that God's mercies are new every morning.  Every day.  I knew He had a fresh burst of mercy for me that day!  It was the perfect start to a better day!

We are still praying our hearts out and begging God to fill that hospital room with His mercy and grace and healing power and touch Sam.  We are still praying for God to give strength to the family and those directly involved in this situation.  We are still believing that God has a plan in store for Sam and for this family! 

Will you please join our family in praying.  For healing.  For patience.  For direction.  For answers.  For faith ... even just the size of a mustard seed can move mountains!!!  For peace in this storm.     


Jeremiah 33:3 says this: 
"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not."

I was so blessed when a friend shared this with me this week!  I hope you will find encouragement in this holy scripture too!