Monday, May 20, 2013

Electronics ...

This is only an opinion.  Nothing to get all worked up about!

I find myself asking the question in my mind, "When are kids going to be real kids?  Kids that live a 'real life' are ones that play outdoors.  Explore.  Get dirty.  Climb trees.  Play in the sand box.  Swing on the swings for hours!  My opinion here.

I think it's so sad when all the little kids know how to do is play on electronics or press the buttons on the remote.  It's becoming such an issue in America families and I really am not welcoming that pattern of life.  I love it when Hadassah and Matthew come home from school and go outside to play.  (Well, after they give me their lunch boxes, papers, and grab a snack!) 

The weather plays a huge factor in this routine.  Thanks to our lovely Spring time right now, it welcomes them outdoors in the late afternoon!  Matthew is more prone to go outside and swing.  He loves doing that with Ashlyn!  He likes to ride his bike.  He begs for a dirt bike or motorized something.  He shots basketballs and collects sticks.  He enjoys it outside a lot.  That is why when he started to ask for a Gameboy or DS, I shot the idea down pretty fast.  I find it hard at times to limit the computer time and TV shows with the children.  I just didn't feel it was necessary to be putting more limits to another electronic. 

Buying a DS was something he wanted for long time.  He had it on his Christmas list.  He really hoped my mom would bite for it!  :)  He had it on birthday lists.  It was always a wish!  Well, if you remember that a few weeks ago he won $100 from the trash-a-thon fundraiser that they worked so hard at collecting funds for school.  Matthew was so proud of his prize!  We left it up to him with what he wanted to buy with his money.  Of course, I suggested a new basketball backstop and net.  They really need one and that would be perfect ... I thought!  He wanted a Nintendo DS.  Oh, boy.  I sighed.

I asked him on the way home from school once when he was suggesting to buy a DS, "Matthew, if we buy a DS, when will you go outside and get dirty and be a kid?"  He looked at me and smiled.  I think he thought that was going a little far with my assumptions.  He said he would still play with other toys!

He knew the place to buy one.  He thought he knew the price.  (He's been asking the boys on the school bus and at school for some info.)  We agreed that on Mike and I's date night, we would check out the game and consider the purchase.

Well, the night of our date came.  The kids and I went to some yard sales in Strasburg after school.  We knew we didn't have much time to browse but I remembered of one house in particular that I wanted to go to.  Previous years we have done well there with clothing.  It was one of our first stops.  Hadassah and I jumped out of the van and looked around.  There laid a blue, Nintendo DS.  Only $40!  Great condition.  Works.  Includes a charger!!!  Wow?!!!  I immediately called Mike and asked for his guidance.  Should we?  Great price!!!  His reply was, "Yes!"

I bought the DS and we returned back to the van with one happy seven year old boy!  He was so delighted!!!  He wanted to get the game insert of Mario Brothers yet.  So, later that night on our date, Mike and I went to the game store where Matthew knew they were for sale.  Yes, they sold them for $160 new!  I was proud of our earlier purchase.  We did buy Matthew a case and the Mario Brothers game.

Now, he has a Nintendo DS, charger, three games and a case for a total of $98!!!  I think we did great with the prices!!!  That's just one reason yard saling is sooooo much fun and at times very rewarding!

The kids have been doing great with not over playing on it.  I really am proud of how they have kept it to a minimum!  If needed, we will set limits!  :)

Here he is playing on his Nintendo DS for the first.  He's so happy!
   
Let your children get dirty today.  It won't be long when they will be all grown up!

Blessings!