Wednesday, May 1, 2013

MAY ~ A favorite month!

Flipping the calendar over yet another month for 2013 is startling.  I mean the months are just flying by.  I am reminded by the birds, by the growing garden, by the grass that needs cut twice a week, by the tubbies that set in the kids closets with clothes that are too small ... that time never stands still!  Never.  It keeps going.  And going.

I LOVE MAY!  May is one of my favorite months for a multitude of reasons. 

Everything is fresh and green and growing.

Most of my outside work is now under control and the weeds are pulled weekly.

Flowers are planted and I love to see them burst forth with color!

My mulch is arriving tomorrow, and even though this is so much work, it looks so wonderful and rich!  It helps keep the weeds down and gives all the shrubs and flowers a brand new beauty!

Strawberries begin to be harvested in May!  We love fresh grown strawberries!!!  They way out beat the ones you buy in the stores!  We love them in desserts, in salads, in Danish, on top of ice cream or even mixed in with homemade ice cream :) (dad -in-law makes the best!), strawberry bruschetta, chocolate covered, smoothies, fresh jelly on homemade wheat bread, and tons more!!!  Yep, can't wait!  My plants have some blooms on them and I dream of having big, juicy berries!  This might be the year?!!!  I can't wait to try some new recipes and maybe even get to share some with you!

Lettuce and spinach and radishes and peas are harvested and my whole family thrives on that good eating!!!

Special days ... Mother's Day and my birthday!  These two days highlight for some fun, usually a few date nights, and extra treats!

It's the last full month of school!  Things seem to speed up quite a bit with school activities.  It's track-n-field, Spring programs and piano recitals, field trips, awards assembly and more!  The kids are so pumped for all these activities and it really does make the last month go by quickly.  That's just one problem ... I like May.  I don't want it to go racing by!

Memorial Day Weekend!  The very last weekend of May is something we as a family cheer on VERY loudly!!!  It's a weekend we spend with very special friends and have tons and tons of fun.  It's annual.  It's memories.  It's such a blast!  (Literally ... we usually go through this every year too.  Some want to take fireworks along to the cabin and blast them off.  Others prefer the 'not so much drama' option!  ALL the babies hate the loud pops and sounds!  Oh well! :0 )

It's time to think of being outside a lot more!  Campfires begin.  Roasted smores is something I know we will do for dessert often!  The kids will get dirty and bath time will be such a needed daily process!  Picnics!  The pools are opened and cleaned!  The weather is warmer and frost becomes a rare occasion!!!  Yard sales are in full tilt!  Sister Jody and I are ready!  We have our favorites that happen every year and on Saturday is the beginning of such 'seek and find'!  The kids come home from school and then go right back outside and play in the back yard!  Matthew swings a golf club or baseball bat ~ always!!!  He loves, loves the swing right now too!  Just swings and swings!!!  Hadassah is still doing her daily round of cart wheels.  Ever since the Olympics, she has purposed to get better with her cart wheels and flips.  She is really good by now but I get so annoyed with hearing all the flopping and falling around on the living room floor.  Just last night, we were all outside working, and I asked where Hadassah was?  Matthew and Ashlyn were on the swing.  Mike said she's in the front yard with her butt and legs in the air!!!  :)))  Oh dear!!!  At least she can flop around in the grass now!  On Sunday night, she wanted to show her friends her fine moves and as she went carting through the air, I heard one say, "I hope she has leggings on!"  Yep!!!  She knows better.  :)

That's why I love the month of May!!!  I am going to try my hardest to treasure each morning, afternoon and evening!!!  The sun is so bright and inviting outside this afternoon, that I must go out and feel the warmth.  Hear the birds sing.  Pull those stubborn weeds.  Plant some more seeds in the garden.  Glance at the clear blue sky and thank my Lord for it's beauty!  Cloudless.  I will just live out the first May afternoon of 2013 to it's fullest!!!

Enjoy May!!!