Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Finally finishing up this post!

I don't usually start a blog post and not finish it.  When I sit down to write, I post it ... most times.  But this journal was started on October 1 and I just didn't take the time (or rather have the time) to complete it.  So here goes for a really long post ...

10/01/2013 thoughts ...

I blink.  I reach for the calendar.  I turn yet another page.  Another month has been lived and is now gone.  Another month lies before us.  I am happy to say that the family calendar does look a bit more relaxing!  Even though there's not a week on my calendar page that's "empty", I hope we can enjoy more time together at home!!!

It's relaxing to know that today I can go out for groceries and a few more stops without being in a rush!  That alone makes for a better start!!!  :)

I am so delighted to say that ALL the carpets on the first floor of our house are cleaned!!!  They were deep cleaned yesterday and they look so, so much better!!!  Goodness, they needed it so bad!  Are we really that dirty?  Or do I just allow too much traffic on the carpets with shoes on?  Whatever the reason, they are clean now and hopefully they will stay that way a long time!!!  :)

........................................

I keep thinking that I should post some interests of the children right now in their lives!  Time right now won't last forever.  They grow up so fast!

HADASSAH ... she's practicing volleyball almost every night.  They play this in school and she is really doing well with her fundamentals and she can serve great!  We were out in the back yard last evening bumping the ball back and forth.  We didn't have near as many 'stray balls' as when we first began this practicing!!!  Good job girl! 

She also is still taking piano lessons at school but only because her mom makes her do this!  :/  I think she will thank me someday for giving this opportunity to her but for now ... she's not really into it!  Sigh.

She's growing tall!  She is almost as tall as me!  Really!  The other Sunday morning I woke her up and when she got out of bed, I was struck with amazement.  How can my oldest be this tall already!  It's really showing with her dresses too.  She needs longer ones!  She wears my shoes.  My scarves.  I love it that we are friends!!!

MATTHEW ... all boy!  He showers only because I tell him too.  Not because he thinks he should get cleaned up and scrubbed down!  :)  He still loves balls and throwing catch with Mike in the back yard its something they do almost every night. 

He's my snacker too.  He loves chips and these peanut butter pretzels right now.  The other morning I was packing their school lunches and he got the big container (one from Costco so you know it was big) out of the pantry and said, "Mom put some of these in my lunch.  You don't have to put them all in."  He doesn't usually want sandwiches in his lunch so right now we are doing baloney and cream cheese. 

He's still the biggest tease to his little sister.  I have to keep reminding him and telling him to stop it and stop making her scream.  It's like he thrives on it and her response is always the same ... screaming.  I hope they do grow out of this stage quickly!!!  :)

ASHLYN ... the youngest and the most spoiled for sure.  We are knee deep into trying to 'train her' and teach her ways of sharing, caring, and saying sorry.  It's tough.  Really tough some days.  We celebrated the other day because she didn't have any melt downs.  I know ... ridiculous.  I remember when she was only a few months old and Mike made the comment, "Hun, I think she's a little different than the others.  More high strong."  I now agree!  We will try our best and hope she grows up to be a lovely, beautiful girl inside and out!!!  We continue to rely on God's help!!!

(This was written on 10/16) ...
She's got plenty of fun, good characteristics though too!!!  She loves, loves books right now!!!  She sits and 'reads'.  She loves when I read to her too!  She's got this little book that was given to Hadassah when she was young.  I don't even remember who gave it to her.  It's a book that intrigues Ashlyn so much.  I'm not sure why because Hadassah never seemed to be real interested in it?  It's a book of songs and poems.  Every day she brings this small, purple book to me and we read or sing it!  Songs like:  I'll be a sunbeam; Jesus loves me; Jesus loves the little children; Tell me the story of Jesus; I must tell Jesus; Praise Him, All you little children; Be near me; The Lord is good to me!!!  She has no idea how often these songs ministered to my soul as we sang them together.  The other day Mike listened as we went through our normal routine and he was amazed.  I got all teared up and I think it's so awesome that she loves to sing these amazing songs!  I love you Ashlyn so much!!!
.........................................

I have never had a blog post written and not posted this long before.  I am catching my breath as I finally feel like my life is slowing down!!!  I am so ready! 

Looking back at our past week, it was again packed with great events.  Some made me so tired.  Some were so much fun.  Others were moments of remembrance. 

Last Thursday, I helped with hot lunch at school and then talked to Rachel Ann about coordinating her wedding on Saturday.  I left Ashlyn with sister in law Lena and on my way back, Lena texted and said Ashlyn had just thrown up.  What?  I picked her up and tried to doctor her and care for her.  She kept spitting up and crying of belly ache.  She ate no supper but did seem a bit better by dark.  I was invited to meet with a group of ladies that were gathered at the new coffee shop in town later that night.  It was raining all day and I was excited to meet up with some good friends again.  We sipped our hot beverages and went around in a circle sharing what God is doing in our lives.  I really miss these ladies at church but excited to see where God is leading their families.  Mike was home with the children and Ashlyn was feeling a little better.

Friday, the kids had school and I decided to stay indoors if at all possible.  Ashlyn was not throwing up anymore but still laying from belly ache.  By lunch, she was up playing and seemed much better!!!  PTL!  I had wedding rehearsal to be at by 7.  We ate supper and I was off again leaving Mike with the little ones.  I met them all at Dad Lapps later for three good games of Settlers.  This game has us all worked up and it just don't get better than when we start hearing dad whine about the game.  One game is a blast and fun and then the very next set up ... the game can be terrible!  We all won one but dad!  :)  It was almost midnight before we got to bed!

Saturday we had a wedding.  I was the coordinator so I was up early.  The day went smooth and everything went well!  After we got back home, we ordered pizza and had a good night here at home hosting Dutchies!  The kids just have a blast together!  We adults did too!  :)  Thanks so much for coming Dutch and Rosa!  Your friendship is priceless!

Sunday morning was communion at church.  I never get tired of hearing the story and life of Jesus.  We heard again about the brutal death he died so that you and I can have eternal life!!!  We took bread and gave thanks.  We drank a sip of wine and gave thanks.  We washed each others feet.  Gave alms.  Then we all had lunch at church.  The meal was good!  We didn't stay at lunch real long though because Mike and some 'biker friends' were meeting at 1:30 to go for a 30 mile bike ride.  The kids and I relaxed at home while Mike had his best bike/run ever!!!  He seems to love this sport a lot!  The wives and children all met at Sam & Mary Ann for supper and had a time of fellowship with our hubbies.  Again, it was a great night with special friends!!!  Thanks Mary Ann for hosting the biking crew!  :)  We got home and remembered that the kids don't have school on Monday because of Columbus Day.  It was nice to not rush them off to bed!

Monday, I was so glad to sleep a little longer and let the children sleep in too.  I did some laundry and then went to Ladies Bible Study.  I am really enjoying the study we are doing on David!  The topic talked a bunch about jealousy.  I wrote, "We can't expect from people with what only God can rescue."  Jealousy comes with a threat.  When we are jealous of someone/thing we feel threatened.  We need to be humble and rid of jealous feelings.  "There is no rest on earth than after we give it over to our God!"  Then we talked about trusting God and how that becomes a daily choice.  Trust Him always!  Trusting God = "It might be a painful place to get but it's a wonderful place to stay!"  Trusting God with my mind and heart is a challenge!

It was a beautiful October afternoon!!!  I had so much outside work waiting for me that I decided to dig in and get to it!  The children helped me throw the 'not so pretty flowers anymore' out to the field.  I pulled weeds.  Blew out the pine needles and dead petals from the flower beds.  I mowed the front lawn.  It felt so good to 'prepare for cold weather' outside.  Funny though, I am pulling out flowers and yet we still have watermelon growing!  :)

Monday was my dads birthday too!  We surprised him by going out to eat and then back to dads for cake and ice cream.  It was a treat and fun!  Happy birthday dad!!!  You are so special and I love you!

Yesterday, I picked up some turkey and chicken meat and canned one batch.  I was busy preparing for our annual secret sister banquet.  The night was fun and again it was so great to see ladies from church and others that now go to other churches.  Bless you all!

I now have the laundry done for today and the third batch of meat is cooking in the caner!  The children will be home from school soon and Ashlyn is napping!  It is time to close this really long post and finally get it "posted"!!!

Life is busy.  Life is fun!  Life is short and we only get one shot at it!  Let's make the most of each day!  Hadassah told me this morning right before getting on the bus, "Mom, have the best day of your life!"  I smiled and immediately thought that my best day of my life was when I married my best friend!  However, I would try to make today a good day!  A day at home spending lots of time with Ashlyn!  Smile and make today a really good day too!!!