Monday, October 28, 2013

Mice (post 3) and Mike's hunt!!!

Here's an update on our mice situation.  Let's just say that I peak!!!  I tried to stay calm.  I tried to keep my cool.  I just couldn't anymore!

Saturday we caught a total of four.  That now makes something like 12 mice dead!  Not a good situation.  Not a good feeling at all!  My house feels dirty.  Mike was at the cabin and called me Saturday afternoon.  I tried to stay calm.  I was crying while talking to Mike on the phone.  I felt completely out of control with these mice.  Of course, there was nothing Mike could do with him being three hours north in the woods.  It just felt refreshing to let my tears and frustration come out.  I wasn't upset at him or the children or people ... I was upset at the mice!  Every time I caught one, killed it and got rid of it, I thought, "OK, this is surely got to be the last one."  Then I would see another one somewhere.  Mostly in the garage!  Hadassah was still not feeling well and Ashlyn and Shakia were playing.  I put Matthew in charge while I went a mile out the road and got more bait!  More traps!  More sticky traps (these do work for the tiny mice).  A bag of steel wool.  A bottle of expanding foam spray.  Bait.  Lots of bait!!!  I was buying on total impulse and looking at the hardware store man in desperation!  I felt like crying out, "Help!!!!!"  I left the hardware store a few minutes later ready to fight and win this battle!!!  I am going to WIN!!!


Matthew and I went around the house and stuffed all the little/tiny holes we could see.  We stuffed around the fireplace.  We stuffed steel wool under the kitchen sink.  We set bait containers in the attic.  In the basement.  We set two more traps and three sticky traps around the fridge because Matthew seen one go under there.  Later that night, that mouse was trapped, killed and disposed of!!!  PTL!!! 

We have not seen any mice now since Saturday!  Yesterday, Mike put more bait in the basement drop ceiling.  I feel like we got them trapped for good now!!!???!!!  I can't tell you how tired I am of being so conscience of every little twitch.  Noise. (Like when I was in the toy room downstairs and freaked when I heard the water in the pipes from the dishwasher running.)  Things on the floor. (Like this morning when I started the laundry.  I saw this gray thing under the sink in the garage.  I first thought, "Those crazy mice are moving our steel wool."  Then I thought, "No, that is a mouse!"  Well, I got Mike to come look right away and it was just old lint from the dryer!  It did really look like a gray mouse.  Sigh.)  I am ready to relax in my own skin once we are mice free!!!  :)

I am calling this my 'Egyptian Plague'.  It's no fun.  It's for sure not funny.  It's REAL LIFE for right now.  I can't imagine how those Egyptians put up with all their plagues.  I would have been furious that Pharaoh for not letting the people go.  Can you imagine tons and tons of frogs?  Lice?  Flies?  (Just talked to my brother last night and he was saying how they are dealing with so many flies in their house!  We chuckled when we both could feel each others frustration!!!)  Rodents, bugs, spiders, and all those disgusting critters are gross.  Not something nice to deal with and rid of!!!

========================

We are very proud of Mike!  He went hunting Saturday and came home with a nice six point buck!!!  He was very last minute with planning his one day in the woods and only practiced a little the night before with shooting his bow.  He went to the hardware for his license Friday night at 6:30.  No big deal really.  But he was excited to go!!!

He saw the six point buck in the woods in his evening hunt.  Took a shot and hit.  When he walked up to the buck, it got up and ran.  He took another shot putting the second arrow into the deers flesh.  He waited awhile and then found it!  Dead!  He was a very happy hunter!!!  We were all happy too!  The kids all wanted to see a picture and when brother John Mike texted us the news!  After they got it gutted and loaded, Mike called us!  Proud hunter!!!  :)

When he got back home at midnight, he woke up Matthew and showed him his game!  Matthew got a big smile.  Said, "Good job, Daddy!"  And headed back for bed!  :)

The kids came straight from bed to the dear!

Mike's Six Point Buck!!!

 
We cooked the dear heart for lunch yesterday.  It was tasty and we all really liked it.  An all out Sunday lunch is not something I usually do.  I knew the heart had to boil in water for at least 30 minutes.  They others said they wanted some mashed potatoes and macs with it!  I got the potatoes cooking too while the bow tie pasta soaked up the cheese and a splash of half-n-half.  The meal was complete an hour after we got home from church.  It was delicious!

Matthew's class did a science experiment the other week on pigs.  He wanted to take the lung out of Mike's buck and check it out more closely.  His daddy got him set up in the garage and he had a blast!  Seeing a tiny piece of flesh on my kitchen sink and blood on the sink in the garage is not something I get a kick out of!  However, I am glad that Matthew washed his hands in the kitchen sink.  :)  I was also happy when Mike got rid of all the fresh meat that Matthew cut up in the garage!  Boys ...




====================

The message yesterday at church was great too!!!  I love when I just read something in my devotions and then hear a message preached on that story!  That's exactly what happened.  In 2 Kings 6&7, it talks about a famine and how four lepers came into the city.  They knew that they would else dye outside the city from the famine or take a chance and go inside the city for food.  The Lord made a noise of chariots and horses and lot of "host".  All the Syrians fled from the city.  When the lepers arrived, everything was there for their taking.  They ate and drank!  God had provided for them!!! 

Do we consider our blessings?  Our table is spread.  We get feed spiritually every time we go to church.  We go to Bible Studies.  We have revival meetings.  We have family, church family, good health, breathe of life, friends in Christ, a risen Savior, a free country, hope, peace, forgiveness!!!  Spiritually our table is looking very good!  What are we do with our blessings?  Do we help the troubled?  Those that don't have peace?  Are we sitting at our blessings table eating contently when we have so many others all around us starving? 

What are we doing?  Love isn't love until we give it away!  Not reaching out is ungratefulness.  Selfish.  How can we not be grateful when Jesus gave His whole life?  We have so much to be praising the Lord for!!!  Our job is to tell others of our blessings!  Of Jesus!  Those lepers took the chance of going into the city to live.  1.)  Start being a missionary right where I am!  2.)  Pray for a passion of lost souls.  3.)  Weep for the lost!  Think of how sad it is for just one person to die without Christ in their hearts!!!  We can make a difference!

These are some of my sermon notes from yesterdays challenging sermon!  Thanks Amos for sharing the word!  I am challenged! 

===========================

My house is smelling like pumpkin cupcakes because there is a batch that just came out of the oven!  It's pumpkin season and we have been enjoying pumpkin pie!  Steamed Caramel Apple Cider!  (Pour 1/2 cup Apple Cider into a mug.  Add 2 Tb. heavy cream.  A splash of caramel syrup.  A dash of cinnamon.  Steam it all together till it's nice and hot!!!  It's so yummy!!!)

If you want a quick dessert for tonight, go to my post last October and click on "Pumpkin Cupcakes Again."  They are so good!

My little one is listening to My Bible Friends while looking through a story book.  I have house work to do yet before the two oldest get home from school.  So, my post comes to an end!

I am blessed!  I want to bless at least one person this week!!!  I'm on the look out!  :)))