Monday, January 6, 2014

Winter can be "snow" much fun!!!

The winter has been so, so cold thus far!  We've been having one snow bluster after the next.  I always say, "If it's going to be cold ... it may as well snow."  I'm still sticking to that thought.  It's been a tad crazy with the roads being snow covered, the weather in the single digits and the kids off school.  I took a picture of my phone the other morning because it said, "0" degrees!  So cold!

Friday the kids had no school again because of the 5 plus inches of snow that fell during the night.  They didn't mind a bit and were so excited to be home again.  I love it when they are home to, I am so ready to have their minds in their school studies again because after two weeks ... well, it's just time to get those brains thinking some more.  :)  Mike went to work a bit later and then came home with the skid loader.  The kids were hoping that he makes them a big pile because that spelled out F-O-R-T (IGLOO) to them!  They shoveled a hole for the entrance and now we have ourselves a snow igloo in the side lawn.  As Mike walked out the door to take the skid loader back to the shop, I said, "I am tired of cooking.  We are going out tonight or something."  I don't do this very often so I didn't feel guilty.  He got back home and I was fighting off my second cold for the season.  I rarely get colds but I am fighting off my second one already this winter.?.  The kids asked to order some Chinese.  I opted for soup.  We ordered the food, Mike and the two oldest picked it up and we snuggled in the basement to watch a movie.  My can of soup never got opened because the rice and chicken hit the spot for me too!!!

These two love the snow!!!  The minute Matthew wakes up in the morning and sees fresh snow on the ground ... he is getting dressed warm and heading outside.  I had to stop him the other morning and asked if eating breakfast at 9:30 isn't a better idea and then head outside?.  He ate his two over light eggs and two pieces of toast and headed out in the cold!  Also, that same night, at 5:30, I remembered that Matthew went out again and I didn't remember hearing or seeing him come back inside.  It was dark outside and so I quickly went to the back door and hollered for him.  He hollered back and when I asked him what he was doing, he said, "Waiting on daddy."  :)  He loves his new winter clothes and does stay warm. 
 She was trying her best to walk through the snow.  She fell and Matthew helped her right up.  Then he walked beside her and helped her to the barn for a shovel.

 Licking the snow!  Hadassah joined the cold fun too.
 Here's Mike with the skid loader!
 And ... look who got a ride!!!  She loved it!!!  She said, "This is fun!"
 I'm telling you ... it's cold!!!

 Making their fort!  I love these adorable faces!!!
 All are welcome!!!  :)  Come on in!!!
 Cold fun!  Drinking hot chocolate is a must after this play time!!!

Saturday, I woke up feeling better.  My cold is leaving as fast as it came ... thankfully!!!  Winter is my least favorite season by far.  I just don't like to be cold and Ugg boats are really pricey!  I know my feet would thank me over and over again if they could feel that special sheep wool, but for now it's going to be a new pair of snow boats from Ross.  :)  Hadassah and I went to an auction.  Yes, it was outside in a barely heated tent but my family was there and we don't miss out.  :)  Milly, an elderly lady that lives right next door to my dads business, sold lots of her personal belongings.  We wanted to be there to see the house and the stuff for sale.  I came home with a narrow, white cabinet for $2 and a few small items for $1.  We weren't there real long until we were both ready to move along.  We decided to make a quick shopping spree with just the two of us.  I needed another pair of winter boats (since Hadassah keeps claiming mine).  We decided to check Ross and we were both happy to find some!  Love that store!!!  :)  We drove slow on the back roads because they are still a mess and the little snow on them is frozen solid.

That night, Mike was all into the football games but we had also planned a night of pizza and settlers with his parents.  We bundled up and arrived with Mike having his phone beside him all night.  We played three games and he was checking his phone constantly.  I think he would have even won a game if he was more focused!  :)  It was still fun and we always enjoy nights like these!

Sunday, we went to church and the temperature outside is still freezing.  The heat wasn't working right at church, no not the best timing, but we still had a good message and great fellowship!  It was soup for our lunch and being inside, out of the rain, is such a blessing!  I left the house after lunch to go give the youth girls some manicures and have some spa fun!!!  It was a busy night of painting nails.  I got back home to the kids having fun with their wonderful daddy!  Thanks Hun for being here with them!

Now today the kids are back to school and I am having one of those days where every turn I make ... there's something to be put away.  I have some Christmas decorations that I put up in the attic once again.  I washed out some containers that held our chocolate covered sweets and are now empty.  The laundry is waiting to be folded.  I threw out the last of the fresh holly that I had in the kitchen as decorations.  The kids and I started a 1000 piece puzzle over the weekend and that's sprawled out on the dining room table.  I love putting puzzle together when it's freezing cold outside!  I am still fighting off my cold that I thought was leaving so fast.?.  Sigh. 

Getting back into a routine and better bed times is a great way to start off the New Year for us!  I also restocked the cupboards with fresh groceries and I know packing the lunches tomorrow will be more exciting!  :)  Most of the snow melted from the rain last night and I am grateful that the sun is shining!!!

I have no New Year Resolutions ... yet.  I just didn't really take the time to think much about this.  I usually don't have many and the ones I do jot down are more like goals.  Have a great week AND stay warm!!! 

*****************