Monday, March 2, 2015

Soup ...

Today was another busy day for me!  The kids started with a two hour delay at school and even though we enjoy these days, it gets me a later start to my day.  I am OK with that though!  The kids got on the bus at 9:30.  Mike was already off to work.  I had some laundry washed and dried.  Ashlyn and I went for groceries soon after the kids were off to school.  Yoder's has the yummiest Florida strawberries right now and the fresh veggies there hit the spot for us lately!!!  Ashlyn and I filled the cart with many fresh foods.  I pushed the big car cart all around the store with her hardly riding in it.  She said it was cold, yet she picked that cart!  I know I will not have toddlers in the house forever, so today we pushed the car cart!  :) 

I also grabbed some soup ingredients.  Because of the snow delays, Bible Study got canceled today.  That gave me the idea to make soup this afternoon.  Ashlyn and I got the soup and salad bar for lunch at Yoder's and then headed for home.  After we stopped for milk, eggs and juice, we came home to unload all the groceries.  Then I grabbed my chopper, my big tube for mixing the soup, jars and all the food ingredients.  I have good intentions but usually about half way into the mess, I'm ready to be done.  I peeled many potatoes and chopped them.  I chopped carrots.  Celery.  Browned lots of hamburger.  Butter.  Then mixed it all together!  It all smelled wonderful and looked great as I mixed and stirred in the seasonings.


 Ashlyn helped me fill the jars!


Ashlyn was busy playing with her tiny animals and pet shop pets while I chopped in the kitchen.  She loves these right now.  I was ready for a break and so she set up Candy Land.  :)  She helped me fill the fourteen quart jars.  I was happy to have the cooker going!  We played some Candy Land and then I went right back into the kitchen and made a big batch of Chili and warm corn bread for supper.  I also made a small batch of potato soup for me.  I didn't feel like having that chili powder in me and have it cause digestive problems later!  Everyone loved the warm soups!  It's by far a great comfort food for us on these cold, chilly days!

I got the jars out of the cooker three hours later and hearing those jars seal was music to my ears!  I hope the soup is tasty!  I used a new recipe but it was very similar to another one I used before! 
 

These soups will be so handy for the chilly winter/spring days yet to come and for easy supper meals when we do start working on the house project!  If they last till July, they will made a quick, easy supper or lunch after baby is born!  I love having soups on the canning shelves!  They make such a easy, delicious meal! 

Now, Mike and Matthew took Hadassah to her last basketball game.  Ashlyn and I stayed home to relax ... just like Mike suggested!  :)