Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A nice Spring day and I'm not kidding! :)

This morning I flipped the calendar page once again.  It's April 1st today, April Fools Day, and I'm excited to have the sun shining bright and the weather is pleasant!!!

We've been waiting and dreaming of nice warm weather for weeks now and today seems like Spring has sprung!  I'm not sure how much work I should do both inside and out because why make everything look nice and cleaned up and then have a tractor come drive in the yard and start digging?  But, I can't hold myself back!  :)  I'm so sure that my body will be sore tonight from all the extra stretching and bending over.  My belly is getting quite round!  (More and more people are asking when the baby's due date is.  When I say July they get a long face.  It seems long for everyone to hear a summer month I guess but I told Mike last night that it's better for me to count weeks instead of months!  I'm at 25 weeks now and only have 15 more to go!) 

Getting some work done outside is a great feeling!  Ashlyn and I went all along the house and the pine trees and raked out any leaves, twigs and winter dirt.  It made for a long trail of yuk in the yard.  She pulled the weeds that already have come up for me.  We also hoed the garden.  Blew out the flower beds and driveway.  We even mowed the yard!!!  We had to jump start the mower but when it got started, it worked great.  I went slowly along the yard line and picked up all the leaves and trash.  Hadassah then took over and mowed the rest of the lawn to pick up any more stray leaves.  It looks nice.  I have the roses to trim back.  The garden to plant now.  And more hoeing to do.  One thing at a time!  :)

Hadassah and Ashlyn on the mower.


Hunter was here with us today.  Matthew got the croquet balls out and they had a blast!



Our house project is still on hold.  We are waiting on the engineers and permits.  I'm not sure how the upkeep will all go around the house outside when the project does start?  I do know that the pine trees and garden will still need much attention.

...................................................

Last night we went to the Cross Connections Banquet.  We learned about an outreach for teenagers and families in need right in our nearby town.  Testimonies and stories and were shared at how they excepted Christ into their lives because of this ministry.  Local kids now have a place to play basketball inside and get some discipleship!  There were over 1,100 people at the banquet!  I was surprised when I heard that the guest speaker was Darrell Strawberry!!!  No wonder the place was packed up!  Darrell was a professional baseball player years back.  I remember him as a kid.  Mike was a fan of him and collected a few cards.  He even remembers praying for him time to time.  Mike also heard Darrell Strawberry share his testimony on TV about a year ago.  He was moved with his story.  This was a highlight and treat to hear him speak at this banquet!  Thanks to Uncle John's for inviting us to their table! 

We sat at a table right in the front.  Right beside Darrell's table.  They announced that with hosting 1,100 people at the banquet, there would be no way for everyone to get a signature from Darrell after he speaks.  So, before everyone arrived, they put 50 small pieces of paper under random seats through out the tables.  Everyone of course reached under their chairs to see if they were the chosen ones.  Our table chuckled and I said to Mike, "Don't look under mine yet.  Just wait."  A few minutes later, Mike reached under my chair and sure enough ... I had a paper!  Boy, was Mike excited!!!!  Immediately, he looked around at what he could put his signature on.  He left the banquet quickly and went to his office (it wasn't too far from where we were at) and got his wooden bat that was given to him.  He brought it back to the restaurant and after the banquet, we got in line for a signature.  Darrell Strawberry signed Mike's bat!!!  They posed for a picture.  Mike told him that he prayed for him years ago.  Darrell was grateful! 





Darrell's story was very inspiring.  He talked about his childhood struggles.  How his dad left his mom and family when he was just thirteen.  He struggled with issues and throughout life.  He battled with the thought "Who am I?"  Even when thousands of people would cheer him on after a home run, he ran around the bases still asking himself, "Who am I?"  God took hold of his life after much selfishness.  Darrell accepted Jesus into his heart and is now a different man!  He encouraged the teenagers.  He encouraged those who are struggling in life.  He quoted lots of scripture and closed in prayer!  He now has two places in Florida that help struggling teens and young people!

The evening was great!  The message of Cross Connections is needed!  Darrell Strawberries message was a message of hope and of helping others.  We were blessed to be there!!!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Spring has arrived!  I can't wait to go get some seeds and plant the garden!