Saturday, July 11, 2015

Recovering ...

I am still in recovery mode.  I am so glad that with Austin's due date being today, he arrived early and doing great!

Things are going well here at home and I am so SO so SO thankful for Hadassah's help around the house!!!  It's amazing what a thirteen year old girl can do to help a recovering momma!  She does the wash.  Folds it and puts it away.  She cleans up the house.  Sweeps the dirty carpets.  Cares for Ashlyn.  Holds Austin.  Mows the yard.  Pulls the weeds.  She's my in house maid!  Mom and Jody have been a big help as well!  They were both here yesterday cleaning the house and then pulling weeds outside and hoeing.  Jody left with cucumbers from the garden that she will make dill pickles for me!  Mike has also been playing the dad AND mom rule around the house.  He's trying to spend lovable time with each of the kids.  One night, he played catch with Matthew.  This is something that do every single night normally.  The next night, he was playing basketball with Hadassah.  Then another night, he went biking with Ashlyn.  He holds Austin.  I am so blessed to have some many helping hands!!!  It would be a much tougher recovery without the helping hands and the meals from church.  Thanks to everyone who is preparing delicious supper meals for our family! 

I'm going to try to back track a bit here now and write a little bit more about Austin's birth.  This is Mike and I walking in to the hospital.  It's the strangest feeling walking in and not being in labor and knowing that in a few hours ... baby will be born!


The kids are seeing their new baby brother!
 Mom brought the kids in to see Austin for the first time!


The day of surgery went as well as expected.  Very sore.  Tired.  Happy.  Filled with blessed emotions!  Nurses are always in and out checking up on me.  Mike was by my side the whole time.  I was having terrible pain in my right hand fingers.  An ER nurse came up to have a look at my IV and everything seemed to be fine there.  Why were my fingers hurting so much???  Really MUCH!!!  I finally asked for a bag of ice to see it that helps.  It felt like bees were stinging my fingers.  The only thing we could figure out in a case of pregnancy carpel tunnel???  It wasn't till evening that Mike left the hospital, played a game of baseball and tucked the kids into their own beds.

Day 2 is never a great day after a C section.  The pain meds are wearing off from surgery.  It's time to get out of bed and try to walk around.  Go to the bathroom.  Shower.  All with a REALLY, really sore belly!  I always struggle big time with gas!  My stomach pops and I was having such gas pains!!!  I was taking a white mint pill to try to ease the pain.  The nurses made me a tea drink that they say can help?.?  I don't think it helped a bit for the pain but it tasted good!  Hot Lipton tea with ginger ale soda added.  Try it!  I've made it since here at home!  They call it their "mommy's cocktail drink".  :)  Mike was with me in the afternoon and then evening again.  We had some visitors come and see baby boy!  Austin was doing great!  Eat, burp and sleep.  The nurses enjoyed caring for him in the midnight hours so I could rest and sleep!  I was so grateful for my nurses!!!  The gas pains got so bad that they brought in a hot water pad for my stomach.  We all hoped it would help.  I didn't sleep the best.  I was ready for another day to begin! 

Day 3 went a little better!  I always started my days out like this.  Breakfast and cold water.
 The nurses would change the board.  Mike helped me get dressed into my own clothes and a hot shower!  My own PJ's felt much better than those hospital gowns!  :)

 We had some thunderstorms and rain.  I watched from my room window. 
 
My family was ready for me to come home but I stayed one more night.  I still needed the nurses help too much to brave doing it alone at home.  Mike and the kids came in Friday night to be with Austin and me.  It was only us for the whole evening and great to see and talk to the other kids.  I missed them too and was ready to come home tomorrow.  Ashlyn hopped up beside me making sure she don't hit my belly! 
 
Mike came in Saturday with a hot cinnamon dolche coffee (decaf) for me!  I ate breakfast and lunch at the hospital while the doctor and nurses got us discharged and ready for home!!!  It was a sunny day and stepping out of the hospital felt good!  Here is baby dear ready to come home!


So precious!  Love him so much!
 
It felt to good to be back home and in my own recliner and couch!  The kids were excited to all be back home together too!  The life of another newborn in the house has begun!  We welcome this little man into our lives, hearts, home and arms!!!  We all could not wait for his arrival!

Now it's up at night to feed him.  We all take turns holding him.  Loving on him.  We are so blessed!