Tuesday, January 2, 2018

New Years ~ 2018

Well, here we are once again at the beginning of another year.  It feels good to get a new start.  A new calendar.  A fresh, clean look to the house after the dried up Christmas greens were taken down.  A new resolutions list.  And just letting go of 2017 and thriving forward into 2018!


I used to never sit down and actually write out New Year Resolutions.  I always felt like after January, nobody followed through with them anyway.  But, last year I took a look at things I wanted to improve in.  Work on.  Get better at.  And so I jotted them down on paper.  I stuck the paper in my personal drawer in the kitchen and glanced at it on and off throughout the year.  Some things I have conquered.  Some things I have done terrible at.  But, that's OK.  This list is more goals than musts.  It's challenges me to improve on personally and it doesn't matter if you or my neighbor ditches their resolutions in February, this list is for me.  Just me.


I have been reading through the Beautiful Word for Christmas book all through December and have loved, loved it!!!  It has great devotionals, all the Christmas verses in it and an activity to do each day if you are up to it.  I'm sure they will be (or maybe are) on the Christmas sale items by now, so go grab yourself one for next Christmas.  You will be delighted to read it next December!  But by saying all of this, the verse for December 31 was this:  "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."  Philippians 4:8  It was exactly what I needed to hear for the start of 2018!!!  I have experienced things in 2017 that I never have before.  Emotionally and spiritually.  Ups and downs.  Things like praying and believing that Dad Lapp could be healed if God would just touch him.  Or say a word to him.  Or send Dad Lapp to doctors that could help make cancer vanish away.  This is why a new year, a new chapter in life feels good.  I am so thankful for God's patience, His goodness, His mercy and for His strength that got me through some really hard days.  I wrote out Philippians 4:4-9 on my new resolutions paper because I know, that I know, that I know ... that if I apply this verses in my everyday life, thoughts and emotions, the year 2018 is going to be the best year yet for my life!!! 

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again:  Rejoice!"
"Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near."
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."
"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you."
Philippians 4:4-9
 
I also jotted a few other things on my paper like:  BE FEARLESS!  This is probably going to be my biggest challenge from my goals list because I like when life makes sense, is easy, stays normal and isn't complicated but living a fearless life may require me to step out of my box at times.  Do things that I think are impossible.  Reach new goals?  I don't know what this word is going to all require of me but I have a feeling that in just a few weeks, it's going to be put into practice big time!  Hadassah turns sixteen in a few weeks and thinking of me in the passenger seat instead of the driver seat, makes me a bit tense!!!  :)))
 
THINK POSITIVE.  This is a life time goal of mine!  It's proven that the people who think positive have more fulfilling lives than those who are negative!  TALK LOVING.  To everyone!  That means to our children too.  Sometimes I just have had enough of fighting or drama and lash out at them.  I want to do better.  EXERCISE.  Again, anther life time goal.  I've been out of my running shoes way too long and it's time to get them in again!  WATER, WATER, WATER ... drink lots of it!  Drinking more water is always a good idea for my body!  JOURNAL.  I hope to never give up journaling!  PRAY, FAST, PRAISE ... repeat!  BE THE KIND OF PERSON OTHERS WANT TO BE WITH.  CHERISH ... my husband, children and family!  To pour out my strengths into these people instead of letting my weaknesses override would be grand!!!
 
And now for some quick thoughts about our Christmas vacation!!!  It was so good!  So good to be home with the kids and watching Matthew make lots of hot chocolate!  So good to just sit around the dining room table putting puzzles together!  So good to sleep in and watch movies and eat some extra fun treats!  The whole week of vacation at home was great!!!  I was not ready to have the kids back in school this morning but I do know that there does come a time to get back into routine!  It feels good to have clean floors again and a quiet house for a few hours!
 
Here is something we never had before!!!  When we were taking the ornaments off the Christmas tree, Matthew noticed a real birds nest inside the tree!  No bird ... just a nest!
 

And my Christmas gift arrived from Mike!!!  I love this new wallet already and Ashlyn nicely claimed my old one now! 

Thank you BABE!!!

On one of the cold nights, we decided to go to the theaters and watch The Star movie!!!  I called up sister in law Linda and she met us there too with her girls!!!  Both the experience of the movie theater with warm popcorn and sweet candy AND the movie was so much fun!!!  We loved the movie and Mike and I sat beside each other laughing and watching Matthew and Ashlyn really liking it too!!!




I was going through some favorite photos of the past year.  And like many of my Instragram Friends do ... they posted some favorites of 2017!  But I had just one problem!  I had too many favorites to put into just one box!  Instead I limited myself to posting four blocks!!!  :)))  Photography is something I do love but the memories and people that the photos are about, I love more!!! 

Here's to 2017 memories!!!

Last December we had one of the funniest parties Mike and I were at!  Dressing up like the 50's was a blast and the evening with such fun friends was even better!

Belize ... 16th anniversary trip.

Mom and Dad Lapp in Florida just before the beginning of doctoring the next months to fight cancer.

Spring - love this season!  Love these kids!

Arizona - when we visited Dad Lapp while fighting pancreatic cancer.

Jet - when Dad Lapp had to finally fly home to live out his last days with us family.

Baseball - summer would never be complete without some good ole baseball games!

Summer - Popsicles and the pool!!!  Yes, please!

Funeral - Dad Lapp went to be with Jesus on July 12. 


Sisters - the best kind of family!

A whole week at the beach with just the hubby and kids!!!

Volleyball - best season possible!  15-0!

Bike ride - Mike biked from Black Rock to Rehoboth Beach!  Then we spent the weekend there with friends!

Little Man - he turned 2 years old and we could not love him any more!!!  He's so dear!

Beach with my man!

School started up again in the fall!

First time we ever attended an all "white" party!!!  Beautiful and fun!

Grave stone - more tears were shed as we placed a brand new grave stone on top of Dad Lapps burial.


Mountain life with cousins!

Daddy and Daughter sharing ice cream cones!

Baby Bryce was born!

Autumn - so much love in one photo!

Sister Jody moved and it took minutes to get that one box into the van because they were laughing so hard!!!

Thanksgiving - grateful hearts and with thanksgiving we praised God!

Greenhouse - "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"

Sisters day out Christmas shopping!

Christmas Tree!


NY City - lights, people and football.

Fall - lots of leaves.

Basketball - go Matthew!

Snow - first snowfall of the winter!

Brothers out making snow angels together!

Favorites Party with our 50's group!

Blocks - building so many towers with our "little man" is such a good thing to do with him!!!

Family - I love them SO much!

The Star Movie - so cute!  Such a good way to tell others about Jesus birth!  Spread the true meaning of Christmas!!!


And this was given to me from Ashlyn!  My word of the upcoming year is now available for me to wear it around my neck!

 
We made our first ever "Snow Ice cream".  All you need a big bowl of fresh, clean snow and poured some sweetened condensed milk over it and stir it like crazy.  We also added just a tad of vanilla.  Then the kids topped it with Hershey's chocolate syrup.  We liked it!
 

And with just coming out of New Year's, Eve where we got to spend more time with church friends and play games and set off fireworks into the cold nights sky, the eve was great!  At 12:30 AM, Mike and I stopped in at Jonnies where Mom Lapp was playing Rook.  We were glad this tradition could keep going even though Dad Lapp is no longer here.  Then on New Years Day we sat with Matt and Lena and their boys, plus our children, around the dining room table eating warm chicken topped with sauerkraut!  And mashed potatoes and veggies and then chocolate Texas sheet cake went great with hot coffee.  We played more games together and let the kids play toys!  The past few days have been so much fun!
 

Today the kids are back to school.  Groceries are restocked and four gallons of milk were hauled in for Matthew's never ending cycle of hot chocolate!!!  :)))
 
 It's now time to get out the new calendar and start recording some important dates in it.  I still use a paper calendar to record all our family activities in it!  It is a record of our life events like birthdays, sporting games, weekend activities, vacations and even dentist appointments.  It's how I stay organized with a family of six!



Only God knows what my 2018 looks like!  I trust that it will be filled with lots of laughter, joy that overflows and peace that only comes from God in this fallen world!
 
Happy New Year!!!