Monday, March 11, 2013

The first seeds are in the ground!!!

It seems like Spring has finally sprung!!!  I am reminding myself that the lovely 50 degree days we've had all weekend may not be here to stay for good ... but I will enjoy them while they are here! 

Saturday was 'Spring Clean up' around our house.  It's a start!  I have lots of weeds that still grow over the late fall/winter and I refuse to pull them when it's freezing cold outside.  Because the weather was "Springy", I decided to dig in.  Literally!!!  I pulled weeds.  I sprayed Round Up on some 'Larksburg' that I don't want to grow anymore and what seems to take over my front flower bed.  I raked out old, dead pine needles from under the trees.  I hoed the flower beds.  Blew off the driveway.  And, and even got the lawn mower out to mow up all the weeds in the back yard! 

When Mike came home from work, we tilled the garden and worked up the dirt. Today, I stopped for some garden seeds!  I first sprinkled on some organic fertilizer and lime and worked that in the dirt.  Then I made some straight rows and planted!!!  2 packs of Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce.  2 packs of Champion Radishes.  Olympia Hybrid Spinach.  Tyee Hybrid Spinach.  Dwarf White Blossom Sugar Peas.  Imperator Carrots. 

It's my start to another year of healthy, home grown foods!!!  I have lots more I would like to plant, but it is only March so the tomatoes, peppers, butter crunch lettuce and other things will have to wait till we are frost free!!! 

It's a feeling of blessings to be able to grow some of our own foods!  We love when we can walk from the back porch and take a few steps to fresh, home grown veggies!!!  I can't wait to see these seeds grow and then serve the foods to my family!

The first day of Spring is only a few days away and having changed our clocks for daylight savings time, makes me excited!!!  Spring is such a wonderful season ... one of my favorites!  I might have to make a stop at the greenhouse for some pansies and have some 'REAL LIFE' planted on my porch!!!  :)

Enjoy the warmer days!  Come on Spring ... we are ready!