Monday, April 14, 2014

Digging in the dirt ...

The weather today was warmer but windy.  We are really enjoying the warmer days and going outside without jackets and bare feet are becoming a normal.  I am trying to get determined about my running again.  Thankfully our weather is cooperating!  We love it that way!!! 

We had a busy weekend!  Friday night we picked Mike up at the shop because he worked a bit later because of Customer Appreciation Days at the shop.  Usually we get something to eat in town when Mike has this event.  The kids cheered for Chinese and although I frowned, we went with the idea.  We ate at a Chinese Buffet and after seeing our bill and not being very impressed with the food, we concluded that we don't need to go back there again.  :/  We came home and all relaxed together as we watched some parts of Rio and The Ten Commandments movie of Moses life.  The life of Moses and seeing all the plagues and the children of Israel crossing the Red Sea, was amazing.  Sometimes we read these stories as if they are just stories.  It was good to be reminded of all these amazing events that were actually "real life" back then!!!  I love it that their awesome God is still our awesome God today!!!  We were are intrigued by the movie and Matthew really liked it.  Because the whole thing was three hours long, we only got to watch a small part.  Maybe sometime we can watch the entire story!!!

Saturday was a busy day for all of us!  We were out of the house by 8 AM and went for a few more food items and then to the shop to help serve food for our Customer Appreciation Days!  Mom and I took charge of the food and so we cooked hot dogs and kraut, popped popcorn, had fresh homemade donut holes, chips and drinks!  The day was gorgeous and the children took along balls to bounce around.  The day went well but we were all ready to be home to refresh before heading off to Mike's parents for the evening to relax!  Ervin's joined us and we ladies got swooped in six handed Rook.  Sigh.

Sunday was a spiritual refreshment!  We went to church and heard a lot about creation and how creative our God is!  Making all the many different kinds of animals, speaking the planets and stars into existence and then creating man is something only a living God can do!!!  Then we heard about some of the old testament characters!  We were also reminded to enjoy 'today'.  Have joy in 'today'.  Take in the moments of life and let our children be children.  Let them 'play in the mud' and join the fun!!!  Life is serious but to always be serious and never have pure joy and laughter is not good.  Laugh a whole lot.  "This is the day that the Lord has made!!!"  Knowing that this was "Palm Sunday" I read about Jesus riding through Jerusalem on a donkey.  Such a celebration for our King!!!  I can only imagine how excited the children and people were to see 'their king' ride through town.  The excitement only lasted for a short time though.  The Pharisees and corrupt men soon sought to kill Jesus.  This is the start of the Easter Story.  (To be continued.)

Now because today was another warmer day, it was time to visit a greenhouse!!  Acutally, two greenhouses!  I bought the first set of my flowers!!!  Petunias (lots of the bubble gum kind), other variety of petunias, some collies and geraniums.  Mom, Jody and Mommy D. went along too.  We packed the Yukon full of pretty flowers and I couldn't wait to get them planted!  On the way home, Ashlyn and I stopped for groceries and there was another small greenhouse right beside the grocery store.  I couldn't help but take a peak!  :)  I grabbed four tomato plants and two Easter lilies for my mom/mother-in-law!  After the groceries were all put away, I went outside to start my digging!  I planted my many petunias in the ground.  I planted the red geraniums.  I put together a big pot of more petunias, collies, and verbena.  (I will need to keep this inside a bit longer though because we are supposed to have some cold nights yet this week.)  With some flowers now in the ground, I am ready for our mulch that is so arrive on Wednesday!!!  I love Spring!  :)  Mike also filled my box in the garden with more dirt and now my spinach and cut lettuce is planted!!!  I'm so happy to see the radishes and sugar peas peaking through the garden dirt!  Matthew and Mike hit lots of balls in the back yard tonight.  Hadassah studied for her science test and bounced the basketball around.  Matthew filled the basketball net stand with sand and now hopefully, it will not keep falling over!  Ashlyn trooped around the house and rode her new bike she got from John Mike and Mim for her birthday.  Firing up the grill tonight and grilling fresh fish from Florida was a treat!  We are so blessed!

It's now time to get to bed because we are planning to get up tonight at 2 AM to see the eclipse in the sky!

Cheers to the warmer weather!  Double cheers to have flowers planted and I am looking forwards to their display of beauty all summer long!