Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spring has sprung!!!

It's April already and Spring is starting to show it's signs!!!  That's exciting to me!  I love to see the new life starting to bud on the trees, roses, flowers and the grass turning a slight tint of green! 

We've had a rainy weekend, so when the sun came up bright and the rain showers passed yesterday ... and the tempts were in the 60's ... I got really ready to plant some garden!!!  I went to Mike's mom and asked if I could use their tiller?  We loaded it on the truck and I was heading back home!  I needed Mike's help to get the tiller off the truck but I figured I could still work up the garden ground with my hoe.  I started to hoe and seen lots of earthworms squiggling all through the dirt!  Ashlyn gets the biggest kick out of holding a worm.  As I started to hoe, I thought that maybe this would be good enough and that maybe I won't really need the tiller after all???  Ashlyn was out with me as we dug in the dirt and finally I couldn't stop myself and I went inside for my seeds!!!  We started to plant the garden!!!  The garden tiller will be returned without even needing to use it.  :)

I had my gardening gloves on.  Ashlyn had hers.  I had a hoe and shovel.  Ashlyn had the same!  I made a straight line and opened up the sugar pea bag.  We together placed the seeds in the ground and covered them slightly with dirt.  Two rows got planted!  Then we moved right beside those rows and made another straight line for our radish seeds.  Then we planted the butter crunch lettuce and covered them with hot covers.  Candy onions were next.  I have my spinach and cut lettuce to plant yet but I got this old big wooden box from dad and would like to maybe plant these in that box???  With all the rain, the dirt that was shoveled in the box settled a lot and so I figure we should add more dirt to it before the seeds get planted.  That may have to wait till week.  We found the garden signs in the barn and hammered them in the garden!!!  Our garden of seeds have been planted and now we wait for more sunshine, more rain and then eat some good fresh veggies!!!  I can't wait!!!

Holding earthworms in her hands ...









Another fun thing that I had happen yesterday is seeing the kids come home from school, drop off their backpacks inside and head right back outside to play!  Matthew went for his bucket of balls and was showing Ashlyn how to hit!!!  So cute!  Hadassah grabbed the basketball and soccer and played around the driveway just being her happy self bouncing balls! 



 
I thought about firing up the grill for supper because it seemed to be the right weather for grilling, but instead kept it fairly simple around the kitchen stove to make our supper.  With the extra outdoor play, the kids were hungry for a good meal!

The pansies are in planters and now sitting on the back porch!!!  Happy Spring to you all!