Wednesday, April 30, 2014

MACSA Track and Field!

It was a cold, rainy day but Hadassah did well again in track!!! 

Yesterday, Hadassah left the house early and Mike dropped her off at school by 7 AM.  She was excited to get to go and compete in long jump at MACSA.  Although, we really would have loved a nice, warm and sunny day, the kids all did great!

Hadassah had packed extra clothes.  An extra pair of shoes.  An umbrella and her lunch.  We knew that with the forecast saying rain, rain, rain ... we tried to keep her as dry as possible.  She had made a list the night before for her lunch and for her clothes.  I love how responsible she is when she really needs to be!

I was so happy to be able to ride along with Sherry Zook later in the morning!  Sherry and I headed for Messiah College at 9:30 AM to watch our kids do their jumping and Brandon's many running events!  We got there with the rain coming down and the wind picking up.  There were three small canopy's set up for our school kids and so Sherry and I were able to sit outside, under the tents, and watch the kids perform.  I was so glad to not have Ashlyn along with me.  She was much better being with a sitter indoors!!! 

All the kids that did their events were to be in their school gym uniforms when performing.  This meant that many of them were in shorts, tanks and so cold during each event!  One time we had girls from our school waiting to do the relay race.  They were all jumping up and down to try to stay warm.  They were wet and the rain just kept coming down.  I finally ran down and gave them an umbrella till it was time for them to take their running positions. 

When it was Hadassah's turn to do long jump, I went with her down to the jumping sand pit.  There were two other girls from school joining with her.  The rain wasn't too bad but the wind seemed worse.  The girls again shivering and cold and wet.  I told them that normally a mom would not allow their kids out in this kind of weather.  They nicely told me that they wouldn't even want to be out if it were a choice.  They didn't complain too much though and really took it all in stride.  There wasn't a thing we could do to change the weather (although I did tell the girls that it was just that morning that I read when Jesus calmed the rains and stormy seas while being in a boat)!  I watched and cheered as Hadassah jumped well with all four jumps!!!  I was so proud of her again!  Her best jump was 11' 1 1/2"!!!  With eighteen other schools participating, she ended the day in 6th place!!!  She was smiling and we celebrated with hot chocolate and a big cookie on the way home!!!  Placing this good for a sixth grader is great!!!  I am excited to see how well she will do for our school track and field event in May!!!

Our three teachers that were in charge of the students yesterday were all very proud of all the hard work and the final results!!!  Both boys and girls ended in 2nd place over all!!!  The hard work and wet students should be very proud of this!!!  It has been a few years since we brought home a trophy from MACSA!  Great job everyone!!!

We couldn't wait to get home and take hot showers and get into warm, dry clothes.  My roast in the crock pot smelled so yummy!  After getting dry, my family chowed down the mashed potatoes and veggies with our meat!  Relaxing inside all evening was perfect!!!

Good job Hadassah!!!  I love watching you jump and I love your attitude!  Thank Jesus for your talents!!!

Here's a view of the track and the college.

Here is where most of the runs began.  Puddles all around and wet people waiting to race!

The three long jumpers from school!!!  Good job girls!!!


They got some practice runs and then for the real deal, the jackets and warm layers of clothing had to come off.

Trying to stay dry and warm ...

This was us up on the hill under the red, white and blue canopy's!

Go for it!!!


She landed well and got a great score!!!  I am wondering if now I will have less sand on the floors at home???  :)


Here are the girls waiting to run the relay race.  It was just raining at the time and all they could do was wait for their turn!
 PLEASE ... lets move faster!!!  :)

All the wet clothes are now clean again and dry.  I keep thinking of the high school kids that are in track today!!!  They announced ... "rain or shine".

It's almost May and April went by so quickly!  I really, really hope that our May weather will be full of nice sunny days.  Surely, one of these months will bring us lots of sunshine and warmth!!!  :)  I am thinking maybe soon my tomatoes, peppers and watermelon plant will be planted!!!  I am grateful for the rains though and I sure hope that our lawns will stay nice and green all summer long!!! 

I can't wait for May!!!  Bring it on!  We've got a full calendar with school events, a planned fun trip to the mountains and lots of Spring work do yet outside!  I love May!!!