Monday, April 7, 2014

NY City Tourist ...

We toured the city of NY this past weekend!  What a blast! 

Mike and Dave wanted to go see the Mercantile Exchange together and so after some careful planning, they got it all lined up.  Suz and I were invited along (thank you guys!!!) and we made a two day trip out of it.  We left early Friday morning, picking up Dave's at 6 AM.  We drove to New York City and got there in time yet for some breakfast.  We sat at this small diner and all ate some egg dishes.  It was enough to fuel us for our first day in the city.  We went to our first destination and that was meeting a man that works for a trading company.  We got to go into the building and right up into the offices where many, many office people were busy doing their job.  Computers everywhere.  We were given a small walk around and the guys talked 'stocks'.  From there, we went to the  New York Mercantile Exchange.  Again, Dave had lined up for us to see someone on the trading floor.  The guys were really hoping to actually go on the trading floor but because they were in jeans and not dress pants, we had to look through a window.  All the talk about stocks and then actually seeing some trading going on in real life was interesting.  The guys really liked this!!!  We made a stop at Whole Foods Market.  From there we got checked into our motel and relaxed.  It was a chilly, rainy day so walking the streets didn't seem real appealing!  That night, we asked for a sushi restaurant suggestion and for the first time ... I ordered sushi.  I went with the cooked meat though and I did enjoy it.  We ended the meal with a waffle cone with ice cream from down the street.

Saturday morning we all decided to go for a run to start the day.  I have no idea why we thought that was a good idea other than wanting to get some 'EXTRA' exercise.  I have not been doing a whole lot of running yet this spring, so I knew the others would blow me away.  I went two miles and then turned around and walked back.  The others met up and we all went to get refreshed and ready for our day of touring the city.  We grabbed some breakfast at this packed out, wooden floors, city restaurant.  We tried some fresh juices and ate a hearty breakfast. 

We went back to check out of our hotel and they held our luggage for us there while we ventured out into the city life.  We purchased tickets to go on a bus tour of the city.  It was a hop on and off type of tour.  The sun was shining but it was still chilly.  Riding on the double decker bus was windy but we really got to see so much.  We went to Wall Street.  The guys took pictures by "the bull".  We took a ride on a boat to see the Statue of Liberty.  We walked miles and miles!!!  We ended up in Times Square in the evening.  Seeing the city streets packed full of people was crazy!  So many people and lights everywhere.  Sky scrappers with huge screens.  We went in and out of some shops.  We went to the Empire State Building and did a tour/ride there.  Sipping on Starbucks coffee and tea kept us warm.  We asked for another sushi suggestion and when we walked into the restaurant, we were exhausted and hungry.  Dave and Mike ordered a big platter of different sushi rolls.  I was a bit nervous because eating raw fish is not my style.  Suz ordered a roll that she thought I would like.  It had cooked shrimp in it and I did enjoy the food.  We decided to make the most of seeing the city in the night and so from there we went to the 47th floor restaurant where the entire floor slowly revolves ... giving you a view of the city up high while you eat.  We wanted a coffee and a small dessert but after realizing that the dessert was only a buffet for $$$ a piece, we went down to the eighth floor and got some cheesecake.  We chatted and enjoyed our time together.  We were not in a hurry because we had decided to then stay the night.  We grabbed a taxi to take us back to our hotel.  When we asked to book a room for the night, they were full.  What???  By now it was 10:30 PM.  We were so tired.  So ready for sleep.  For showers.  Rest for our weary feet.  We did have another option of staying at another motel, but Mike was not into trying to find parking, etc..  We all grabbed our bags and headed for back home.  At 11 PM.  From NY City.







Dave did a good job at keeping Mike awake.  Suz and I were in the back seat of the truck sleeping.  We got home safe and sound by 2 AM Sunday morning.  Mike and I were so tired and our bed felt marvelous!!!  It seemed so weird waking up without the kids being home.  They were spending their weekend with my parents at the cabin.  Mike and I had some quiet time here at home together.  We napped.  When I woke up Sunday morning, I didn't feel so good.  Indigestion???  Upper back pain?  Sore and tight muscles.  What was this?  Am I really that out of shape that with all that city walking would make me feel like this???  It wasn't real long after I was awake that I realized it was more than just sore walking muscles.  I think the sushi/food I ate Saturday night was giving me a reaction!!!  I ate something that was not agreeing with me and my body was breaking out in all these little pimples.  My knees hurt.  My face was even a bit puffy. 

Mike decided to go for a bike ride later that afternoon and then we grilled burgers at our house with John's and Matt Lapp's.  By now my chest/back felt a bit better but my skin felt terrible and was not looking good.  The kids got dropped off around 9 PM and we were happy to have them back in the house!!!  They had so much fun and many, many thanks to dad's for caring for them!!!  They made lots of fun memories!!! 

_______________________________________

Today was a day of lots of laundry and housework.  My knees and legs are still sore and stiff from this reaction to my sushi foods and my face still looks nasty.  I have little pimples all over my body making me feel like a teenager with acne problems!!!  :/  I hope it's only a matter of time before it all clears up and back to normal.  I guess eating sushi is a thing of the past for me.  Break outs is no fun and sticking to all 'cooked' foods sounds like a winner to me!!!

I am so glad to be back in the country scene and out of the city!  Being surrounded by beautiful farm land and seeing our lawn turn green is a blessing!!! 

I love and prefer the country life!!!