Wednesday, August 13, 2014

More canning!!!

My day of much canning ...

We load up all the ingredients into the Yukon.  We unload at sister Jody's.  We measure.  We mix.  We cook.  We time.  We stir.  We fill tons of pints and quart jars.  We put on all the many lids.  We label if necessary.  We put all the jars into a water base and time again.  We set all the jars on a very large table.  We smile.  We tired!!!  :)

That's the simple version!  :)  Our original plans today were to spend our time at the beach.  But the weather changed our plans!  It was a rainy day all day long ... perfect for the lawn and garden!!!  Mom called me and said that if I don't go to the beach, she could help me with some canning!  Again, perfect!!!  I wish on anyone to have a mom like me and it's a huge blessing to have her help!!! 

When Matthew and I had our "school date" on Monday afternoon, I grabbed some ingredients for all my foods!  (Matthew and I had such a blast together getting his school supplies and new clothes.  We ate at Red Robin for lunch!!!  It was great to have some one on one time together!  I love this kid!!!)  Meanwhile, the girls were at Jody's and she said she wanted to can some soups while I do my tomato canning.  So we decided to use her huge garage to do all our canning together.

I got the kids up earlier than usual and we got right to our chore!  We started with my pizza sauce.  Then salsa.  Then marinara sauce.  Then tomato juice.  Then vegetable soup!  I'm telling you ... we don't have the slightest clue how to do things simple when it comes to our foods!!!  Every time we seem to always do tons and tons all at once!  But why not do it all when the helping hands are available and the supplies are all there?  :)

We had three cookers going at once.  Jody did two soups while mom and I mixed all my different recipes!  We filled dozens of jars!  The kids played well else inside or out in the rain!  Two, five gallon buckets of tomatoes were all used up!!!

The tomatoes were huge and great for my recipes!  We washed the tomatoes and then started the cookers!

Salsa ...

Pure tomato juice ...
 Pizza Sauce ...

I thought I had all my ingredients but we kept having to send Hadassah and Morgan right next door to the grocery store.  We asked them one time to go for more peppers and onions and three boxes of pint jars.  They decided to push the shopping cart right over to our canning area and then took the cart back.  It was a good laugh!!!  :)))


I only wish I could send this Marinara Sauce smell along with this picture because it smelled so, so good!!!  Yum!

LOTS of filled jars!!!

We mixed one batch of vegetable soup for me and one for Jody.  Here's what goes on my shelves!!!

After our hard working day of tomatoes, I came home to a basket of soft peaches.  I cleaned them and cut them in small pieces.  The peaches got mixed with sure gel, sugar & fruit fresh ... then put in small containers and now are in the freezer for an easy lunch add in!!!  I think the kids are really going to like these!!!

It's funny to say that my day was much more rewarding doing all that canning than sitting on the wet beach, but it's true!  Our beach trip got changed to another date, so we hope to still get a beach day in before school starts!!!

Now my hands still smell from peppers and onions but I will sleep well knowing that my canning shelves will be well restocked!!!  I am thankful to God for our fresh foods and knowing how to preserve foods!  Peaches, apple sauce and a few more small items are still be done! 

Enjoy the harvest time of gardening!!!  There comes such a fulfilling feeling when the cellar shelves get filled up!  We are so blessed!!!