Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Reunions & summer thoughts ...

We started August with family gatherings!  Last Saturday, we were at Mike's Aunt and Uncle for a King reunion.  The lunch was tasty.  Seeing family and cousins is always a fun time!  The kids enjoyed the pond and swimming!  Croquet and Botchie Ball was played in the big open lawn!  Thank you so much Merv and Carol for having the reunion!  Ashley came with Hadassah along home and got to spend the night here.

I wish I would have taken a picture of Matthew and Landon doing their little adventure!  :)  They tied a rope to Carol's wash line line and swung on it all afternoon!  Here are the girls in the pond.


Sunday, we had a very busy day!  We went to church.  We were challenged to fight the battles in life with the "power" Jesus has given to us.  Satan is out there to destroy families but Jesus gives us the power to overcome and stand strong in Him!  We can fight the evil powers with the strongest power ... Jesus!!!  We went straight home and got changed and went right back out the door.  We had another reunion, this time with my family, for lunch.  Steaks on the grill, zucchini casserole, potatoes, etc. was spread on a big table for everyone to enjoy!  I took a peach pie to both reunions.  We sat around in circles with cousins and family.  There was a pond here too so the kids got to swim once again.  Aunt Nance had a candy scramble for the kids and 40 years and over!  :)  Thank you to all the Riehl's that planned this fun gathering!  It was time to home and get refreshed before going to evening service at church.  (See I told you we had a busy day!!!)  The same minister that preached this morning was sharing again.  He was a man full of stories.  Ashlyn feel asleep before church was over.  Matt, Lena and Hunter came for some hot tea before we all went to bed.



Daudy Riehl turns 80 soon.  Everyone was to bring some gifts to = 80 gifts.  Happy Birthday!!!



I had to be out of the house first thing Monday morning to take Hadassah to school for volleyball camp and Matthew to the shop.  Boy, I thought our June calendar looked the fullest but now that it's already August, we are still busy!  I can't believe that we are having the first thoughts about school, but the slower pace, better bed times and more of scheduled life is to be desired!  Speaking of school ... we have school shopping to do yet.  Hadassah has been waiting for our papers to start coming from school with the list of items the students need, etc..  I wasn't so anxious because when we get that paper, then the kids are begging to go get their things.  I just wasn't into thinking "school" yet.  But this week, it's all about school!!!  Hadassah is doing volleyball camp at school this week and the commitment of having her there by 8:30 AM and then picking her up again at 11:30 ... well, it's been a commitment!  Getting the kids up and ready by 8 is some getting used to!  Traveling the school route is once again being driven upon!  :/  I'm glad that we have a few short weeks of "no school" yet!!! 

Yesterday we had a day at a huge pool with some cousins.  We did this last year and really liked it ~ so why not do it again?  (Oh, I would have work to do at home or even would have enjoyed the day "at home" but we never turn down swimming options!  Why is it when we plan a day at a pool with family ... then I get two other invites at two other pools?  All for the same day!  Sigh!)

Our summer is going by way too fast!  I am determined to enjoy the rest of the summer and not let our busy schedule interfere with each special moment!  I am thankful for my day at home today!  It's giving me a time to catch up my house work and take a breather!  (Mom and Jody did some tomato things today but I had to say no.  Canning is not an option this week for me.)  The grass is keeps growing fast and I can't remember the last August that the grass has been this green?  It keeps us mowing!  The garden veggies are thriving too and we are being blessed with green beans, tomatoes and peppers right now!  A few bags of green beans go in the freezer every other day!  It's going to all add up to the perfect amount!  The weeds keep growing too.  That's a bummer and just this morning I tackled them once again!  It was time to cut down some "not so nice flowers anymore".  Our watermelon plant is growing so much that it almost reaches from the front corner of our house to the front door!  I can't wait to actually see a watermelon! 

Looking ahead, we have more busy days coming up.  School shopping, an employee picnic day/evening, a full day with Mike's family and then teaching Sunday School!  I'm taking a deep breath because we don't just want to do these activities half way.  We want to enjoy them full heartedly!  Drink lots of water, get a good nights rest, pray for strength and take one day at a time!!!   (Which I am proud to announce that the girls and I were all in bed before 9 last night.  The boys were out enjoying the ball games in town.)  We've been blessed with good health and sound minds! 

Enjoy the month of August because after that, it will soon be time for school, sweaters and fall festivities!  I want summer to last just a while longer yet!!!