Saturday, August 23, 2014

Peach Salsa!

I love recipes!!!!!!!!!!!

I collect recipe books!

If I receive any magazines through the mail, they are cooking magazines.

I search online for foods.

When I realized that I have ripe peaches around here that need to be eaten, I went searching for a PEACH SALSA recipe!  We have thoroughly been enjoying the abundant peach season!  It's one of our families favorite fruits!  We love it with yogurt and homemade granola.  Hadassah often cuts some up throughout the day to enjoy as a snack.  Peach smoothies are yummy but we've kept them to a limit so far because Mike is trying to go without sugar.  (In hopes it will help with his seasonal allergies.  He's been all clear so far ... except for this morning.  The sneezing has begun ... but he really hopes it won't be as bad!  Or better yet, just a hiccup and no more sneezing fits!)  I was planning on making a baby meal last night for friends, but then that got canceled, so now my peach dessert is still stewing in my mind.  :)  Peach pies are always refreshing!

Anyway, with the peaches around here that needed to be used up, I decided to search the web and find myself a canning peach salsa recipe!  I did find a recipe!  I read the reviews and after jotting the original recipe down, I made my own small tweaks. 

As I was chopping up peaches, onions, mango, etc., I was excited to see the final product!  I chopped and mixed all the ingredients together and then cooked it to a boil for about a minute.  The salsa smell was awesome!  I filled 12 jelly jars plus 4 pints!  I kept just a small bit in the fridge to chill for me to try later!  I really think we are going to enjoy this salsa and I was all smiles when Mike tried it last night and gave me thumbs up!!!  This salsa is tasty with chips and used as a dip!  I can't wait to try it with chicken or fish too!  I think it's gonna make a terrific topping for both!!!

So, if by chance you have extra peaches on your kitchen counter, or if you feel the urge to add something new to your canning foods, try this recipe! 

We love peach season!  

PEACH SALSA:
 
12 cup fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
2 Mangos, chopped
1 cup chopped red peppers
1/3 cup cilantro
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tsp. cumin
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 limes, grated lime zest plus the juice
1/2 cup raw sugar
 
Mix all the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute. 
Pour into jars and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. 
 
Yield:  12 jelly jars plus 4 pint!

* The original recipe came from allrecipes.com..  Here are some changes that I made to our liking:  I didn't add as much onion.  I had two ripe mangos in my fridge, so I added them.  The recipe called for jalapeno peppers but I opted to keep them out.  It also called for fruit pectin but the reviews said that that makes the salsa more like a jam, so I kept that out too.  The sugar amount is up to you!  The original recipe called for way more than I used!!!  Some reviews said they used none at all!  I decided to add just a little to give it the perfect taste for us!


Peaches are yummy!!!  I am thrilled to now have some peach salsa to last me much longer than the peach season can give us!  I give this a five star food!!!