Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Apple Pie!

I was all into the fall flavors this year, like usual, but for some reason my recipes that I've used (or so I think I've used before :) ) just were not turning out the best.  I have many pumpkin pie recipes highlighted in my cookbooks with most of them being very similar.  Some make 2 pies.  Or four.  Or even more.  The other week, I grabbed one of those recipes and cut it in half.  Four pies is too many for us but I only wish I would have went for it.  There are always people in mind that would love to receive a pie as a gift!  (Thanks to Lynn for thinking of us when she baked some of her famous pumpkin pies!!!  Very good!)  Well, I cut it in half and they both turned out looking terrible.  I mean the taste was great and good but if dessert is not looking pretty ... it some how makes a big difference on how fast it gets eaten!!!  My pumpkin whoopies were not the best either.  Flat.  Not pretty.  The pumpkin cookies I made were however a hit!!!  My family really loves these and for that reason I have made them a few times this season already!

I kept thinking about apple pie.  Apples are fresh and very in season right now, so I grabbed a few baking apples at the store and hoped to make a pie!  Last year, Mike went for a hair cut (cousin Ashley cuts his hair), and before he left they handed him a piece of warm apple pie.  Cousin Kate had made it from scratch!  He came home and sat at the dinner table with it!  He wasn't hungry for supper but wanted the pie!  He started eating it and after many yums, he did offer me a bite!  It was so yummy and delicious.  I asked Kate for the recipe and tucked it in my recipe book.  Now, with the apple season upon us, I kept thinking about this pie recipe.  I took on the challenge the other day and it turned out perfect!!!  Much better than the pumpkin pies even though I will try these again too!!!

If you like warm apples with a simple, easy way of making a pie from scratch, try this recipe!  You will be impressed with yourself.


Start with making the bottom and top pasty.
2 1/2 cup flour
3 Tb. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix this in a bowl and then add:
1 cup shortening
Cut in the shortening with a knife or pastry tool.  Toss the dough with 5-6 Tb. ice water.  Your dough should be feeling pretty good by now!  Divide the pastry dough into two pieces and roll each piece this between two sheets of wax paper.

Next you mix the pie ingredients.
6-8 tart apples, pared, cored & chunked
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tb. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tb. butter, cut in pieces

Peel, core, slice or chunk your apples. 
In a second mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and spices.
Gently toss apples in dry mixture.
Line a 9 inch pie plate with one pastry shell.
Fill with the apple mixture by simply dumping the apples right on top of the dough.
Dot with butter pieces.
Adjust your second pastry over top of the apples.  Fold the dough over all the apples making sure to cover them all. 
Cut slits on top for the steam to escape. 
Seal edges by pinching the top and bottom pastry's together.
Brush with some milk and sprinkle the top with sugar. 
Bake at 375 degrees for 60 minutes or until apples are tender and the crust is golden brown.
This makes a big pie!  Serve warm with ice cream!!!

The warm pie made the whole house smell so good.  We had to invite Matt's over to help us eat it because it was huge and worth sharing!!!

It is a 60 degree day outside today and I think I'm going to attack the leaves and grass once more!  Mowing the yard is coming down to a close.  The colder weather is to come this weekend so I am off to do some outside work!!!

Enjoy some pie!!!