Monday, May 23, 2011

Growing things ...

We are benefiting from some of our little garden foods!  I love homegrown lettuce!  My favorite is buttercrunch!  We've picked some and have eaten it with joy!  I think there's not a better salad made other than with your own grown lettuce!  Plant, pick, wash, cut and toss the lettuce!  Add some yummy radishes!  We got a few radishes so far.  Can't wait till we get some more sunshine and make the others that are still in the ground ripe!

WAITING FOR THESE YUMMY BERRIES TO TURN RED!  COME ON SUNSHINE!
NOTICE THE WETNESS IN THIS PICTURE.?.  I PLANTED A BLACK EYED SUSAN VINE IN MY GARDEN AND IT IS SOAKING IN THE RAIN.

THIS YEAR I DECIDED TO GO WITH YELLOW DAISY'S IN THE GARDEN TOO!
I HAVE ALWAYS PLANTED BUTTERCRUNCH LETTUCE BECAUSE I LOVE THAT KIND.  THIS YEAR I ALSO PLANTED CUT LETTUCE AND SPINACH.  IT SEEMS TO BE DOING WELL!
LAST YEAR I PLANTED BABY CARROTS AND GOT SO FRUSTRATED.  I COULD NOT DIG THEM OUT WITHOUT THEM BREAKING!  SO, THIS YEAR I AM TRYING BIG CARROTS.
TOMATO VINE ... WE LOVE BLT'S AND FRESH SALSA!

Just today, I drove past a friend of ours that grows lots and lots of strawberries.  The kids and I usually go and pick them there if we don't have enough with our own for jelly, etc..  She had her sign out today that she's got some for sale and because ours are not ready to eat yet, I stopped and treated my family!  $3.00 a quart!  Not a bad price.  Most places are charging $4.00 a quart.  We baked a strawberry shortcake (the recipe is out of the Honeybrook Cookbook!  Love that cookbook!!!)  and enjoyed the sweet strawberries for our dessert tonight!