Sunday, July 8, 2012

More Fourth of July Memories ...

We've been going as fast as the temperatures have been climbing ... 100 miles an hour & 101 degrees!  I have been go, go the past few days and with the blistering heat, it is exhausting.

Thursday, I started my laundry and was out the door at 9:15 to drop off Ashlyn at my sisters and then took Matthew along with me to clean my dad's shop.  Matthew has been complaining some that his belly hurts and said he doesn't want breakfast.  Before going out the door I thought I should maybe make him a piece of toast.  After smelling it and looking at it, he ate it.  We arrived at the shop and he had to throw up.  He then searched LaVern's lunch box (thank you) for crackers to take away that nasty after taste in his mouth.  LaVern offered him some combo's and he ate them.  Again, he threw up.  I was trying to clean fast and get him home! 

He was throwing up on and off all day long.  I felt so bad for him.  I hate any kind of sickness bug, but Matthew has got to be the "best kid ever" when it comes to being sick.  He rarely whines.  Complains very little.  When he needed to throw up ... he quietly would get the bucket, upchuck, and ask for a tissue.  I tried to get some liquids into him, but finally just left him watch Tom & Jerry and sleep!

I cleaned my home in the afternoon while Matthew and Ashlyn took naps.  I was so looking forward to picking Hadassah up at camp and her 6:00 program came fast!  She lectured me over and over to not be late!  (I didn't think I had that repetition ... but maybe I do???)  I rushed off to buy some quick gifts for the camp counselors.  Coffee gift cards work great!!!  I rushed to get myself and kids ready and in the meantime I baked some Stuffed Zucchini that Mike & I ate on the way to camp.  Matthew was still not feeling the best and asked if he could stay in the van?

The Stuffed Zucchini ... this was before I baked it.  I topped it with some shredded mozzarella cheese for the last few minutes of baking.  I didn't get a chance to take a final picture of it because we were rushed out the door.  It was very tasty!!!  Try it ... I used some of my canned meatballs for the meat and mixed it with a beaten egg, some pizza sauce and seasonings, 1 cup of bread crumbs.  Bake it at 375 for 45 minutes or until zucchini is soft.  Top with cheese!!!

We arrived ready and excited to see Hadassah!!!  Yes, I was actually waiting for her at her camp table!!!  We loaded up her things and all the moms were asked to go through the "lost and found" items that surrounded each group.

Matthew's camp counselors noticed Matthew in the van and came out and gave him his "owl" that he had sanded down and then because he came home early ... they painted it for him.  How nice!!!  He loves it!!!!  He laid for a while but did eventually come join us the program.

 No wonder Matthew was homesick???  Just kidding ... they were great!!!  :)
Hadassah with her three counselors ... Kathy, Martha & Mary Beth.

Hadassah's art from camp ...



Each group of kids did a skit for all the parents.  Matthew's group was called "The Red Hot Fireballs".  They sang a song.  Hadassah's group was called "Dramatic Dudeittes".  They too sang a song plus did a skit.  Both groups did great!

It felt so good to come home and have our family ALL together again!  Thanks so much to all the camp counselors and those involved!  It's a great experience and a great spiritual growth for our children!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Friday was doing more laundry from camp and cleaning up.  We unpacked and packed again.  We were in charge of "The Falcon Campout" this year.  I packed some clothes for us and then we loaded up the van with lots of food, camping gear, and supplies.  I was so glad for Hadassah's help and so glad that Matthew woke up feeling better!!!

We unloaded our things into the really nice barn that we were going to sleep in.  (It was a log cabin shed all decked out with a loft, a kitchen, a bathroom and space for our air mattress.  Everything was of course small and because it wasn't ours and we had no electric hook up, we couldn't use the appliances.  We were just glad to have something decent to sleep in.  Mike's not a tent kind of man!  :))) )

The weather was so hot!  We missed our AC, but the night was fun being with friends that we only see a few times a year.

Mike grilled a bunch of grillers and we had a yummy supper!  We sat around and all chatted and caught up with the latest families news. The men threw quates.  The kids roasted hog dogs and marshmallows late into the night.

Our camping pavilion ...

 Trying to keep cool with drinks ... and water.



Daddy swimming with Ashlyn ...
 Splash ...
 Being brave and trying out the slide ...
 Fourth of July Rice Krispies ...
When we got back home, this is how Matthew finished up his long weekend!


/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Saturday morning we woke up just a tad warm and sticky!!!  Seriously, how do people do it with no AC on these warm days?  There was a heat advisory out and calling for 101 degrees and with the humidity making it feel like 106. 

I was glad for a shower for myself and a place to refresh Ashlyn!  I took a drive back home to water my flowers and Ashlyn feel asleep in the cool van!

We had another yummy meal.  All the ladies helped bring food and we ate at 10 AM.  The kids couldn't wait till after breakfast because then they could go swimming in the pond.  It felt so refreshing to them!  Some of the moms and most dads even ended up getting wet too!!!  Anything to cool off!

I took Ashlyn down to moms for her nap and to cool off.  Then we cleaned up the camping area and brought all our camping gear and stuff back home.  I picked Ashlyn up and when I got back home, I was completely exhausted.  I showered and laid on the couch.  I was so tired.  It was great relaxing in the AC again.

Thanks to all those who braved it out and camped with us!!!  It's memories that we make and laughter that makes it all worth it!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sunday ... we relaxed ALL morning and afternoon!  We slept in.  We did not go to church.  We ate breakfast and then read the Daniel story together.  I enjoyed going in great detail with Matthew about how it must have been for Daniel being in that den with them wild beast?!  God protected Daniel!  That same God is who we serve today.  The same God that can close the mouths of lions!!!

Hadassah slept till 12 noon!  I guess that heat yesterday and camp really made her tired!!!

I love my family and we are enjoying the day with each other ... right here at home!!!