Monday, July 30, 2012

S o o o o busy. (Family, Vacation & Corn)

I love summer time, but do not like when I am so busy.  I know, I know ... you make yourself as busy as you want.  Sometimes.  Not always.

Being sick and down on the couch for a whole day is never in my schedule.  I guess with so much going on and day after day being so busy, it makes for a very tired mama.  I am not sure if it was an overload tired sickness or actually a touch of this strange flu that seems to be traveling from home to home?  We've been struggling with colds, really tired, and belly aches.  None of which is cool or fun, but slowing down our schedule is a huge help!

How do you slow down when family from out of state is around?  When it's our month to clean the church house every week?  My week to clean the shop?  A family cookout?  1,000 ears of corn to cook, husk, clean, and cut/cream?

Yes, you read that right!!!  Today we did 1,000 ears of corn!  Every year, my mom and sister/sister-in-law's, get together to do corn.  It's an all day chore.  In my eyes, store bought corn never justifies for home cooked corn.  That is one vegetable that is lots of work, but the taste is fabulous!  Between five of us, we divide all the corn into bags and freeze it.  It's a hard working day.  It's very tiring.  It's a great feeling knowing that it is all completed!  We can now enjoy good corn for the rest of the year!

We use electric knives to cut off the cooked corn from the cob.
 We mix the creamed corn with the cut corn and then bag it in small freezer bags.

We do everything outside.  My Grandma does a lot of the husking and cleaning.
 Here's my grandpa watching from the sidelines.  He would love to still help us, but because of his stroke a few years ago, he now just watches.
 Our little cutie ... making a visit with the puppy.
 My adorable niece, Shakia!
 Yes, when there's corn on the cob around ... she must enjoy one too!

______________________________________________________________________________

I am writing our weekend events backwards with this post, but that's OK. 

This past weekend we were with the Dienner Family Vacation!  This is another yearly event that we would never want to miss. 

The entire family is invited to a great, big cabin and we spent lots of time in the pool, roasting marsh mellows, playing "golf", catching tree frogs, and relaxing on our lawn chairs.

Thanks Mommy D. and Daudy D. for reserving this awesome cabin again!  You are very special!

I can't believe it ... I took so little pictures of our weekend, it's a shame.  But, here's Matthew getting ready to take a dive into the pool.


_______________________________________________________________________________

And, because we have family around from out of state, I just had to add a photo of the two cousins eating candy and drinking huge glasses of soda.  (This is just a small reason why kids get so hyper!!!)

 

"Enjoy the warm summer days.  Don't be so busy!  Take a breath, a deep breath, of fresh air.  It's "REAL LIFE" when you enjoy your family and friends!"