Friday, June 14, 2013

Breads ~

I have in the past few years cut back considerably with my bread in take.  It really helps keep those unnecessary pounds off and I feel much better.  However, every now and then, I will cut myself a fresh, baked slice of homemade bread!  Most times I toast it and dab on some butter.  It goes so well with over lite eggs!

Last night, I went to the freezer to pull out another loaf and I realized we were out.  Matthew loves bread with butter and homemade strawberry jelly (which is so yummy right now!), but he still prefers 'store bought bread' for sandwiches.  The texture just seems to fall apart for him.  But, every morning this week, the kids woke up with French toast on their minds and I happen to think that homemade bread truly makes the best French toast around!  The thick slices dipped in egg and cinnamon and then fried in some butter is tops!!!  Hadassah sprinkles hers with 10 X sugar and Matthew floods his in homemade syrup.  :)  Ashlyn asks for 'sirrup' too.  :)

Both of my recipes that I have used the past two days comes from a cookbook written by cousin Mary Jane!  This bread that is filling my house right now with a wonderful smell is soft and makes 5 wonderfully loaves!  I used to think baking bread was really hard until I finally defeated the process and just tried it over and over.  I have come to say, "It's easy.  Really!"  Here's the recipe if you would like to try it ...

2 TB. Yeast
1 TB. salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 cup warm water
1/2 cup oil
1 TB. Vinegar
2 cup whole wheat flour (I used 4)
8-9 cup Occident flour (I used 6)
 
Beat together yeast, salt, sugar and water.  Let rise; then add oil, vinegar and flour.  Knead in a Bosch mixer for 10 minutes.  Let it rise for 1 hour.  (If the dough seems sticky, mix in a little bit more flour before letting it rise.)  Divide between 5 loaf pans.  Set in your oven and turn on the oven light.  (The light gives it just a bit of heat.)  Let rise another hour.  Bake at 335 degrees for 25 minutes.  (The original recipe says to bake it at 350 for 20 minutes.  I prefer at 335 degrees.)
 
~

Banana Bread ... this is what I made yesterday.  It's called "Banana Split Bread"

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 large)
3 TB. milk
2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
 
Cream butter and sugar.  Beat in egg.  Combine bananas and milk.  In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture.  Fold in chocolate chips and pecans.  Pour into a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
 


I wish you all a good time baking if the bread taste buds start to water in your mouth!!!!  :)