Saturday, June 1, 2013

Swinging with the monkeys!

Last week, Hadassah and I were off to the zoo with her class!  It felt good to be on the comfortable bus and finally on our way.  The preparation for me to go along on this field trip was worth every effort but very tiring!

After having all the suitcases packed, the laundry completed, the lawn mowed and food prepared for our fun upcoming weekend at the cabin ... we were off by 8 AM to see the zoo animals.

All year, whenever a field trip opportunity came up with Hadassah's class, she kept saying, "Don't volunteer for this trip.  Wait for the zoo!"  (They have a policy at school that if you went on previous field trips that year ... you need to give other parents a chance to join the fun!  It's a blessing to know that parents really are interested in their child's school activities!  Hence the wait for this trip!)  When I realized that it's the same weekend that were going to the cabin for three days, I right away was disappointed.  I just couldn't see myself be able to do all the preparations, have a babysitter, and be gone all day long.  Really all day long ... 8 AM - 6:15 PM!  My first response to Hadassah's teacher through email was regrets that I wouldn't be going along.  Hadassah was so heart broken and let down.  Let down with me and with the fun trip!  That evening was a date night for Mike and I and we re talked about the field trip.  Could I do it?  Should I go no matter the cost?

Later that night, I emailed Hadassah's teacher again and asked if I could be added to the list after all?  There were cheers that shrieked from the rafters and Hadassah would not, or rather could not, stop thanking me for reconsidering!  She went from wiping tears of disappointment to cheers of joy!  Amazing.  I felt wanted, needed, and loved!  I was also thrilled in knowing that this really meant that much to her!

We left for the zoo in cloudy, rainy conditions.  Not the ideal weather for miles of walking and scouting out animals.  The weather was chilly too.  All day we kept having to open and close the umbrellas.  We made sure to see all the indoor exhibits.  :)  We had such a blast and I enjoyed the trip so much no matter the weather conditions.

MONKEY'S!!!!  ALWAYS SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH SWING AROUND!

THE GIRAFFES WERE REALLY COOL.  I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW NOAH'S INTERACTION WITH ALL THESE EXOTIC ANIMALS ON BOARD THAT HUGE ARK WAS!?!  I'M SURE NEVER A DULL MOMENT!
 IT'S KINDA TRADITION NOW THAT WHEN HADASSAH'S CLASS GOES ON A FIELD TRIP, WE DO TONS OF BRAIDS IN HER HAIR.  HER CHOICE.  12 BRAIDS IN TOTAL.



 THE ZOO HAD A REALLY  COOL BIRD EXHIBIT. 
 IN THE GIFT SHOP ACTING CRAZY WITH THEIR BUYS!
 HERE'S THIS BIG GORILLA THAT WE ENJOYED WATCHING THROUGH GLASS.  CHEETAH!
 THIS WAS MORE THAN COOL ... IT WAS AWESOME!  THE TIGERS PUT ON A NICE SHOW FOR US AS WE WATCHED THROUGH GLASS.  THEY PACED BACK AND FORTH AND HADASSAH JUST LOVED IT WHEN THEY CAME RIGHT UP TO THE GLASS.  IT LOOKS LIKE SHE IS PETTING IT.  NOPE.  JUST AMAZING!
 THE TWO OF US READY TO HEAD HOME!
 THE THREE GIRLS IN OUR GROUP.  SUCH GOOD FRIENDS!
 MISS. KREIDER AND HADASSAH ... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, MISS. KREIDER FOR BEING SUCH AN INSPIRING, AMAZING TEACHER.  I'M NOT SURE YOUR SECRET BUT YOU STOLE THIS GIRLS HEART ALL YEAR LONG!  HADASSAH LOVED, LOVED HER YEAR AT SCHOOL!  MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!  (Oh yeah, see Hadassah's shoes?  Some of the girls planned to switch shoes for the day.  What next?  First it's the none matching socks and now shoes?  :)  )

 
There was one incident though that had my heart throbbing hard for a few minutes.  We were all in the monkey exhibit and as we were leaving the building, one of the moms said she hadn't seen the big gorilla.  She turned back and went for a quick peak.  Hadassah and Laurie also turned around and followed her inside.  Jolene had not realized the girls followed her and so after her quick view of the huge gorilla, she came outside and rejoined our group at the next monkey exhibit.  A few minutes went by and one of the boys asked where Hadassah and Laurie got to?  What?  Weren't they with us?  Oh goodness ... we immediately set out to find the two lost girls.  Inside I knew that they were OK if they stuck together but being lost in a big zoo was not a good thing.  We went right back to the first monkey building and the girls were not there.  We walked around the paths and hollered their names.  Still no girls.  We called a few moms from the other groups and asked if they had seen them?  Nope.  I said a prayer for help!!!  God cares and knows we need Him!  After a few more minutes or searching, I suddenly heard Hadassah holler "Mom".  I looked at Jolene and said, "I heard Hadassah!  It came from that way!"  We set off and sure enough we found them!  They both seemed calm but were really glad to reunite!  They said they thought about asking someone for their phone and call us.  That was a great thought!  Then I asked if she was hollering for me?  She couldn't remember if she yelled out my name or not.  She didn't think she did that.  I didn't care if she did or didn't.  I knew it was God leading us that way and helping us find the girls.  I may have heard the voice of God that afternoon!!!  I like to believe that it was God leading us right to the girls!!!

We finished the day with Starbucks and the souvenir shop.  Hadassah bought a stuffed baby cheetah!  It seems to be her favorite animal right now.  Now she has a cheetah in the midst of about five stuffed pandas lying on her bed!  :)  The bus ride back was quick and we went from the bus, to the van, to home, to the shower, to packing up the cooler with cabin foods, to the truck, to the 2 1/2 hour ride North!  I knew midnight was going to come quick!

We arrived safe and sound and excited at the cabin!  Our friends were all there already and greeted us with chatter!  When I finally laid my head down for a nights rest, I thanked God for keeping us safe, for giving us a great trip at the zoo, for the road safety, and for a bed to give my weary body rest!!!

Thanks so much Miss. Kreider for organizing the zoo trip so well and for the great year you gave to the fifth grade class!  Hadassah LOVED school this year!  I am convinced that the teacher makes that happen!!!  Blessings!!!