Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Crazy snow day!

We are all home again today.  A few inches of snow feel yesterday making the roads slick this morning and it kept the kids home from school ... again.  We are using up all our 'snow days' and I sure hope we will be able to keep the last of school the same original date!!!

What do we do on snow days?  Sometimes we do puzzle.  Sometimes we bake.  Sometimes we clean.  Or build a snowman.  Today, we went for baking.

We made soft sugar cookies in the shapes of snowflakes.  This recipe was shared on here before so I won't repeat myself.  Hadassah mixed while I put the ingredients back on the shelf.  While she was mixing, I was also digging into the flour and made two big Stromboli's.  The cookie dough needed to chill for an hour and Ashlyn kept asking me when it's time to cut them into snowflake shapes.?.  An hour later, we were all around the bar playing with chilled dough!

Our large bar area in the kitchen is so perfect for baking and mixing and especially for rolling out dough!  We sprinkled some flour on the counter and rolled out the dough thin.  Then we cut snowflakes shapes but when we went to lift them off the counter and onto the cookie sheets, it was a mess.  I then remembered that we had the same issue with these cookies the last time.  So, we cut small sections at a time and rolled it in more flour and then pressed on the cookie cutter.  It went much better!  They went right into the oven and baked for eight minutes.  Hadassah then mixed up a batch of icing and as soon as the cookies were cooled down, the kitchen got messy!!!  That's when the icing went on each cookies and the sprinkles were shook on top!  Sprinkles always make a mess!  Every time we use them!  I was tempted to tell the kids that I will just do this part but then I remember that this would be the fun part for a kid.  The kitchen can be cleaned I told myself inside!  Hadassah and Matthew got all crazy with it!  There was a few times I had to calm them down but they got creative.  They even tried to see who could eat a cookie the fastest.  And videoed themselves doing this!!!  I will laugh every time I view this video!

I was disappointed when my central vac didn't start up for me with my cleaning up the kitchen chore!  Sigh.  Matthew dumped out the trash from the container downstairs and I'm not sure if it's not put back together right or what???  New things are fun and great ... until I get confused and not sure how to make them work again.  So, I got the old broom out and swept the sprinkles up.  I'm spoiled with central vac because it is so much easier to clean up messes like this than to spread them all around to get on a big pile.  I vote central vac!!!!  Clean up went fine and it will only be a few hours before we start making it dirty again.  Smiles and cheers were put on the kids faces when I said that I would make pretzel wraps for supper!!!  Yum!

 



Shakia came for the afternoon and the girls had fun with some leftover dough.
 

 Another snowy day at home was fun, crumbs created and cleaned up, and warm!