Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering 9/11

Probably everyone remembers where they were on 9/11 when they heard about the terrorists attacks.

We were in Sarasota, Florida.  I was 5 months pregnant with Hadassah.  We took my grandparents down to Florida to do some work on their house down there.  I was with Mommy Dienner.  Mike was out on the golf course golfing and an older man told him about what happened.  When he got back, we went out to the mall and watched the TV news there.  It was so sad!!!  Such great lose, smell, dirt, fuel burning, destruction, and devastation!

Thinking back on this day, I still can't imagine how tough it was for so many people to find 'a new normal'.  So many people have died.  So many loved ones.  So many good daddy's and mommy's that really loved their kids and families!  So many unsaved people met their eternal destination.  Then thinking of all those who were rejoicing because they got to meet their maker and enter the pearly gates of heaven!!!

That same month, I went to a Women of Faith Conference.  Lisa Beamer was there and spoke about her husband, Todd Beamer.  He was on one of the planes that crashed.  She also was pregnant and expecting a baby girl.  So tough and yesterday I said a prayer for her and her family!

I always think more about losing a loved one or my spouse when Mike goes out of town.  He flew to Palm Beach, FL, on Thursday for a paid for golf outing with Lumberman Ass..  (He got to golf where the pros golf.  Tiger Woods golfed on the course Mike got to golf on!)  He had a flight home on Sunday morning ... 9/11.  On Friday night, I called Mike and said, "Do you realize that you are flying home on the 11th?  Isn't that kinda scary?"  I had nerves tighten up in my stomach! 

I know that September 11, 2011, is another day that God has given to us and will protect us, but having my husband fly on that particular day is something I would try to avoid!  He said he did think about the date but wasn't too worried.  I knew there wasn't really anything I could do about the date, so I said a lot of prayers!

The kids and I hung out here at home for the most part while Mike was gone.  It's always a tough departure for Matthew!!!  He loves his dad too much and always is the one crying and missing him the most!  Matthew was again counting down the days till Sunday.  We went to Sunday School and when we got home, Mike was home too!  Exciting and very thankful that he made it back home ... safe and sound and very tired!  (Getting up at 3 AM for a flight is tiring!)  So glad to have him back home!!!

In "REAL LIFE", that doesn't happen to everyone.  When those victims boarded their flights on 9/11, they had no idea that they would never get to say good bye to their loved ones and never return to their earthly homes.  I have so much to be grateful for!!!  All the glory and honor goes to JESUS!

We found out later that one of the guys that was golfing with Mike, his flight got canceled because of suspicion.  After I called Mike on Friday night and expressed my concern, that man said that his wife was nervous too.  He had to stay another day and hopefully he will return home safely today!

Reading the daily bread this morning, it said something to me that encouraged me and I would like to share it.

"For the follower of Jesus, death means heaven, happiness, and Him."

Be blessed today and pray for all the families that were involved with the terrible happenings on September 11, 2001.