Saturday, September 17, 2011

Welcome Pumpkin Season!!!

I hate to say good bye to summer but that always welcome cooler weather and the amazing smell of fresh pumpkin pies, pumpkin whoopies, and all those yummy fall foods!!!  Pumpkin foods are one of my favorite!  I cook my own neck pumpkins that make the best pumpkin pies!!!  (Making some next week!)

As I type, I can smell the wonderful pumpkin aroma of "Pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon-cream cheese frosting"!  I started getting the "Food & Family" magazine and it has great, easy recipes.  There was a recipe in the last issue and I had to try it!  Having the youth at our house tomorrow eve gave me a wonderful reason to bake these today!  (Because eating these fattening foods by myself or even having them around is not good for me!)

By the way, that leads me to proudly post that I started running!  I started about 2 weeks ago and I have done some everyday.  It's not real far yet, but it's a start.  I usually said, "I can't imagine running 1 mile!  I would probably die.  (OK, being sarcastic.)  How does Mike run 5, 6, or even 8 miles at a time?"  I was determined to start some kind of exercise to help get back to my pre pregnancy weight.  ( I know ... making pumpkin desserts is not going to help shed the pounds!  Sigh.)  I was tread milling for a while and then when we went to Cape May, I went running outside.  I liked that much better!  Something about sweating outside in the fresh air and not just in the warm basement tread milling.  The farthest I went so far was 1.5 miles.  The other night Mike and I went out together for a jog.  He was at my pace and when we got back to the driveway, he said, "OK, I am going again."  I was puffin like crazy and humbly said, "OK."  He ran the same path that we did together again.  He is amazing with running.  He runs like it's no problemt!  Anyway, that totalls this week so far at 6 plus miles for me!!!  It's nothing huge but I am proud!  (Probably a little too proud of my accomplishments?  I usually go and measure the mileage right after I run!  Ha!  Running just a little further is a good feeling to me.)  Running is soooo hard for me!  It's something I do not enjoy (so far) but it's got great health benefits and it does feel good afterwards.  I woke up last night during the night with a backache and sore legs.  I think I've been giving some muscles a running work out!

Well, gotta go put icing on the cupcakes!!!
The finished product ...
What you need:
1 pkg. spice cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1 can pumpkin
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. (16 oz.) powered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Make it:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat first 5 ingredients with mixer until well blended; spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin cups.
Bake 20 - 22 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.,  Cool in pans 10 min.; remove from pans.  Cool completely.
Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until well blended.  Gradually beat in sugar.  Blend in cinnamon.  Spread over cupcakes.
Store frosted cupcakes in refrigerator.

Makes 24 delicious cupcakes!!!